This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

The video begins with outtakes of vocalist Rachael Price giddily yelling “Fun Machine!,” trumpet-player Mike “McDuck” Olson dancing in slow motion, drummer Mike Calabrese leaping from a Boston sidewalk and clicking his heels, and Bridget Kearney plucking the tune of “I Want You Back” on her bass.  Together, they’re Lake Street Dive, an up-and-coming band that took the Horn Gallery by storm on a wintry Wednesday night before Spring break.

It isn’t everyday that you find a band that’s down-to-earth, humble, extraordinarily talented, and even better live than on an EP or in a music video.  Lake Street Dive, however, exceeds expectations on every level.  Unlike many bands that wait in the wings or out-of-sight while the opening act performs, Lake Street Dive casually sat on a Horn Gallery sofa as Giant Squid and REMOY played.  After an amazing show of funky covers and jazzy original tunes off of their new EP, “Fun Machine,” I decided to send a quick Facebook message to Lake Street Dive to let them know how much I enjoyed the show.  Although I was hoping for a reply, I knew that it wasn’t likely – after all, they’re beginning to get more and more press in the midst of a whirlwind tour of the US.  I was excited that they stopped by in Gambier on a blustery Wednesday night, but to my utter shock and elation, I received a personal reply via Facebook message a few days later!

With over 12,000 likes on their Facebook page and more than 700,000 views of their popular cover “I Want You Back” on Youtube, I’m sure that they receive quite a few Facebook messages from adoring fans everyday.  The fact that they took the time to personally reply to my message, saying thanks and that they had a “BLAST at Kenyon,” is truly amazing.  Even if they hadn’t replied to my message, I still would have admired them as a soulful, up-and-coming band of fun, unique personalities.  Check out their music on Youtube here, which includes gigs on KEXP, an awesome public radio station hosted by the University of Washington, and with SoulPancake, a group of creative minds looking to make the world a more positive place.  Or, you can find their EP or previous album on Spotify, through their website, or on iTunes!  In addition, if you missed them at Kenyon or can’t get enough of their music, you might be able to catch them on tour this summer.  

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!