Interlude: Some Musings and a Love List

I’ve accidentally turned in my past month’s worth of articles either unfinished or a few days late. I never mean to, and it’s not that I’m not working on them; I have just always been notoriously bad at conclusions. I never know how to wrap up, and it seems like possibly the most important part of an article. So, naturally, it’s always stressed me out the most.

I feel like I’ve talked myself into some kind of a trap. Every week I find myself totally caught up and over-focused on making my article ~deep~ or *insightful* or *~super brave~*. I feel like if I’m not writing something incredible or powerful or moving, maybe it isn’t worth writing about at all.

I totally miss the point feeling like this. It completely clouds over why I joined Her Campus in the first place. Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful when I have something genuine to say that feels powerful, but that’s not always why I write. I write to share with people what I love, not to impress them with how profound I can be. I think that pretty often when it comes to my writing, the standards I hold myself to are too high. Then they psych me out and I avoid trying at all, so that at least I can’t disappoint myself or anyone else.

I’m trying to remember to be a little bit lighter. I’m working on not taking my writing so seriously all the time. This week I worked on doing just that by starting a list of things I liked and adding to it whenever I thought of something good. So here that is, in no particular order-

• open mic nights

• glass

• fuzzy sweaters

• silver jewelry

• the way that ALL of Wiggin Street smells like the coffee shop on the corner some days

• people with cool tattoos

• colorful umbrellas

• lemonade

• farmers’ markets

• crystal chandeliers

• hearing songs you forgot you loved in unexpected places

• christmas displays

• lava lamps

• the moon

• greenhouses!! greenhouses are so cool they’re always warm and full of plants!!

• really terrible puns

• paint swatches

• reese’s cups

• train stations

• streetlamps

• shop windows where you can see through to inside and the reflection at the same time so they layer over each other

• getting through airport security really fast and then having a chance to relax or maybe get some work done before boarding

• cute mom instagram accounts

• 24hours.kenyon.edu

• when people make a new spotify playlist for every month of the year and it ends up being almost like a music diary

• seeing other girls dressed really cute and being excited for them from a distance just cause they look great

• experiencing some amazing kind of art for the first time, a song or a movie or a painting or a book, etc

• experiencing art you already love for yet another time and noticing something new about it

• accidentally running into people you like while you’re out

• sales at lush

• starting to develop a crush on someone

• sharpened pencils

• prickly pears (say it without smiling to yourself. you can’t.)

• new pens

• strings of lights

• ocean sounds

• pesto

• the way your friends will surprise you sometimes just by being a little extra loving

• hydrangeas

• finishing an article

Image Credit: Annmarie Morrison

Annmarie's a sophomore art history major at Kenyon College, and she really really really loves ginger ale and collaborative Spotify playlists, and she's working on being a better listener. For Her Campus, she both writes and is the photographer for the Kenyon chapter, as well as running the Instagram account for the chapter.