How Ali Hazelwood Continues to Revolutionize the Romance Genre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you’re a fan of romance fiction, you’ve certainly heard the name Ali Hazelwood. Although Hazelwood is a relatively new addition to the author world, her novels have undoubtedly made her one of the most popular romance writers today. Her first, and perhaps most beloved, novel The Love Hypothesis was released in September of 2021 and follows a fake relationship between Ph.D. candidate Olive and young professor Adam. Although I’m not the biggest fan of the fake dating trope, I’ll admit that this was definitely an enjoyable read. The Love Hypothesis was the first romance novel I’ve read (and trust me, I’ve read a lot) where the main character was seriously immersed in academia. I am not someone who is interested in biology, which Olive is pursuing, but I found myself genuinely engrossed in every scientific detail. What makes all of Hazlewood’s novels so special is that they aren’t just about romance. Sure, romance is probably the main aspect, but the novels depicts female aspirations and how women function within academia and male-dominated settings. We see the exciting tension between Olive and Adam, but we are also witnesses to Olive’s own professional feats and struggles. 

Hazelwood herself is an academic, which I believe makes her novels that much more realistic. Originally from Italy, she moved to the United States to pursue a Ph.D. in neuroscience. In addition to being a successful author, she is also an adjunct professor of neuroscience. Additionally, The Love Hypothesis was originally written as a fanfiction centered around Star Wars characters Kylo Ren and Rey Skywalker. Imagine not only possessing a Ph.D. in Neuroscience, but also writing a Star Wars fanfic that eventually makes its way onto the New York Times bestseller list. She is officially my icon. 

Hazelwood’s second novel Love on the Brain pulls from her own education and follows neuroscientist Bee, who is collaborating on a groundbreaking and time-sensitive NASA project with engineer and arch-nemesis Levi. This is my favorite novel of Hazelwood’s so far, despite that one cringey line where Bee is dressed in galaxy leggings. It’s giving 2013 Tumblr. Anyway, similarly to The Love Hypothesis, Bee faces the hardships and sexism attributed to being a woman in STEM. Although this is certainly frustrating to read, readers can appreciate how Hazelwood’s female characters overcome misogynistic obstacles and become the heroes of their own stories. 

I never thought I would enjoy romance novels that are so heavily based in science, but here we are. And although I rarely comprehend the jargon that accompanies Hazelwood’s scientific descriptions, it somehow makes the plot way more interesting to read. There is never a female character in Hazelwood’s novels that I don’t find myself rooting for, and they are always the literal definition of a “girlboss”. Hazelwood’s most recent release, a collection of three novellas titled Loathe to Love You, are no different. Mara, Sadie (love the name representation) and Hannah are all scientists with important careers and strong wills. The only problem I have with these novellas is that they were not nearly long enough to satiate my love for the storylines. Luckily, Hazelwood’s newest novel, Love, Theoretically, is set to release on June 13. If you’re a fan of romance or physics, this one is going to be for you. This is all to say that everyone should watch out for Hazelwood. She not only continues to revolutionize the romance genre by combining love and STEM, but more importantly, by empowering the academic and professional aspirations of women across the globe.

A sophomore at Kenyon College pursuing an English major, Creative Writing emphasis, and French minor, Sadie is originally from Yarmouth, Maine. In her free time she loves to write, crochet, watch crime documentaries and read alarmingly cliché romance novels.