Four Simple Steps to Get Your Room Halloween Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

One of my favorite memories of Halloween is of my mom and I dancing around the house to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” while placing our homemade ghost and bat decorations on windowsills and empty desks. When it comes to Halloween decorating, my mom and I go all the way. We try to keep the house scented with homegrown pumpkin pie and cinnamon cookies, and we decorate the house in way that gives passerby goosebumps.

Being away from home during this season for the first time made me miss this tradition terribly. So while I was home over fall break, I picked up the essential Halloween decorations for my dorm room: mini pumpkins and gel stickers. My roommate’s parents sent her orange and black streamers, a mini “boo” sign, and a fake paper witch. It took us about fifteen minutes to Halloween-ify our room, and it felt so much more like Halloween at home once we were finished.

So, for those of you who love decorating for the holidays, or are just feeling a little homesick, here are a few tips to help you ease the longing for your mom’s pumpkin pie and create your own Halloween memories. A little holiday spirit goes a long way.

1) Streamers. Everywhere.
Twist them, drape them, make mini curtains out of them. Whatever your heart desires, the possibilities are endless. Do not be afraid to domesticate your dorm room with these. They are cheap, and they look awesome.

2) Decorate mini pumpkins. Not only are they super cheap and adorable, but decorating these while listening to music with your roommate is a great bonding activity. You can bond over your shared artistic skills, or laugh at the lack thereof.

3) Find fun objects to bring in!
Though my roommate, Anna, and I went a little overboard with the witch on our door, gel clings, and little “Boo” sign, it’s what makes us happy! Because she’s from Texas (a long long way from Gambier), this is how we make our dorm room feel a little bit less like a dorm and more like a home. Our hall mate, Maddie, has something as simple (and terrifying) as a giant remote activated tarantula which crawls around the halls at night.

4) Last but not least, you need some Halloween hits.
Here are 10 Halloween songs that will prepare you to get your scare on with everything from classic Michael Jackson to Lady Gaga.

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!