Falling Out of Summer: Pinks Are Here to Stay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

After spending a year abroad in a country where there aren’t exactly seasons as much as there are rainy and non-rainy days, I am more excited than usual for autumn. Autumn may be the season that I feel most strongly about, what with mulled cider, pumpkins, and the beginning of a new year at school. Autumn makes me feel like things are changing for the better. This love, however, is not always beneficial; during a meeting today, I decided that watching the slow descent of leaves falling outside the window was a better use of my time than focusing on the instructor, who was futilely trying to tell me how best to read a poem. There was just one problem: the leaves were green.

Autumn seems to be taking its time coming to Gambier this year. On one hand, that means extra time to visit the Caves and to wear the summer dresses that we will all pine for come February. On the other hand, I just bought three sweaters and would like to wear them before the new-sweater smell wears off. I’ve seen people wearing Duck Boots expectantly, as if the temperature could switch mid-day, but it seems as though we will remain in this Indian summer for a bit longer.

As such, fashion is stuck in a liminal space; corals seem like too much at this point in September, while greys, blacks, and reds still feel a bit too harsh, especially as I sweat my way to class. I’m all for clashing (I like black lipstick in summer and plan to try to wear electric pink in the doldrums of winter), but there are some days when I just want my outward appearance to match the scenery. That is where pinks come in.

Dusty pink boots, pants, and light jackets are my new favorite summer-to-fall items. Though they bring memories of summer, of flowers in full bloom and cotton candy, they are just muted enough to go with the crisp mornings and nights that have been gracing Gambier recently.

Now, okay, you guys are going to have to trust my sartorial instincts with this one, because a Google search of “autumnal pink” provides TripAdvisor reviews for a resort in Maine. It looks like a lovely place, and I’m sure the 176 travelers made some lasting memories, but it remains beside the point. Just trust me. Muted pinks with earthy undertones. I promise.