Copenhagen Reflections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

On this gloomy (typical Copenhagen) Monday morning, my clinical psychology class discussed humanistic approaches to psychology, especially what makes life meaningful. This was perfect timing, as Copenhagen had just experienced two heartbreaking shootings. Our Danish professor later told us that this is a shock to the Danes – and, boy, do I believe it. This is a city that is built on trust and equality. When I walk the streets at night, I do not fear for my safety. Heck, a poster for Copenhagen has police officers stopping traffic for baby ducks. So, when I was woken up around 5:30 on Sunday morning by text after text after e-mail after call explaining the second shooting, it was the first time I was actually frightened here. Granted, I was not near the second shooting (or the first), but I have never lived in a city where there was a potential threat to my safety.

If you don’t know much about the shootings here are the quick facts:

• On Feb 14, there was a shooting at a cafe where a debate was being held on blasphemy and free speech.
  • The target was thought to be Lars Vilks, a Swedish cartoon artist.
  • One person was killed and three were injured at the first shooting.
  • On Feb 15, early in the morning, there was a shooting at the synagogue in Copenhagen, where one person was killed and two were injured.
  • The suspect was shot and killed in Norrebro; he was 22 years old.

I had to read the last part over again. He was 22. One year older than I am.

The morning after the shooting, I went up to make some breakfast and found some of the girls on the third floor. They were describing to me what their night was like: chaotic and stressful. Cops had told them that they didn’t know where it was safe to go. The main metro station was evacuated, and they all had to get home using a taxi. I will say, however, that through this entire experience, I have never felt so taken care of. Being abroad, I can imagine how my friends and family must feel. I am here to tell you that everyone’s safety was the number one priority. The Danish Institute for Study Abroad provided us with constant updates and informed us that if we needed help, we could reach out to them.

I don’t feel unsafe anymore, but rather rattled by the injustice. For this is all just a reflection, and I can’t say I didn’t expect something to come up, especially after Je Suis Charlie. That lit a fire that I was afraid would spread around Europe, but I just didn’t think it would land so close to my new home. I have tried to find the words to describe how this event makes me feel or what I think, and each time, I come up speechless. I’ve been trying to keep tabs on all of this, so when I saw that the Danish Prime Minister made a statement, I felt as if she took the words right out of my mouth.

“Denmark is an open, free and peaceful democracy. This will not change. We will defend our society and stand by its fundamental values.

To attack the Jewish minority in Denmark is an attack on all of Denmark. We are all deeply disturbed by the tragedy that unfolded in front of the Jewish Synagogue. The Jewish community is an important part of Denmark, and has our warm sympathy and strong support.

We have known for long that there are forces wishing to harm open and free societies like Denmark. This is not a struggle between Islam and the West, or between Muslims and non-Muslims. This is a struggle between the core values of our society and violent extremists.”

You can find the rest of the speech here.

I’m going to end with what we discussed in class, which is what makes life meaningful. These tragedies, as heart breaking and life shattering as they may be, uncover the strength, love, and community we have for one another. Being a resident of Denmark for just one month has shown me how resilient this beautiful place is. Living here has shown me that this is what makes life meaningful.

Image: buzzfeed.com