Campus Celebrity: Harrison Curley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Harrison Curley

Age: 22

Year: 2015

Hometown: Orlando, FL

Major/Minor: Art History major, English minor

Activities: Kenyon College Swim Team, Gund Gallery Associate, AT for Claudia Esslinger’s experimental video class

HCK: How would you describe yourself in three words?

HC: Contact my publicist.

HCK: What do you love the most about Kenyon?

HC: What I love most about Kenyon is the supportive community. Whether it’s spending hours on end sitting and talking in Peirce or invading that same space with a video installation, our campus allows for immersive discussion and creativity that I believe is unique and incredibly supportive.

HCK: What is your favorite part about being on the Kenyon swim team?

HC: My favorite part of the swim team is knowing that I will always have 70 friends to talk to and hang with at any moment. I can be anywhere on campus and find a swimmer that I love and respect. We’re an extremely close team, and we will have one another to rely on for the rest of our lives.

HCK: That sounds like an amazing group to be a part of! What is it like on a typical swim meet day?

HC: Our meet days can vary, but for home meets we often warm up and eat around mid-morning and come together to cheer and stretch before we start. It’s an exciting time and gives us the ability to show where we are in the year and to learn how we can improve before championship season.

HCK: That sounds like a really nice environment to be in before you compete. Speaking of competition, if I understand it correctly, you performed pretty well at nationals this year. How would you describe the experience?

HC: My nationals experience was incredible. Each member of the team rose to the occasion and we came out with another win. Going into the meet, we stressed the same goals we have had all season: to have fun and make friends. It’s a lot easier to win and to swim fast if the meet is fun, so it’s always our goal to be the most exciting and loud team on the pool deck. I was also honored to be a part of the National Record breaking 200 Medley relay with Wesley Manz, Kevin Magee, and Trevor Manz, which was one of the most exciting races I’ve ever been a part of.

HCK: Okay, shifting to more general questions. What’s your favorite spot on campus?

HC: I have two. The first is the third table from the servery on old side, closest to the door, where I have spent at least a third of my total time on campus. The second is the lighting studio in Horvitz, which I use for video and photography and comprises at least another third of my time.

HCK: Those both seem very personal to you and your Kenyon experience! Now, it’s about halfway through April. How are you feeling about graduating, leaving Kenyon and moving on to new experiences?

HC: Worst question to ask a senior. But, I’m feeling every emotion possible. I’m mostly terrified and confused, so that’s fun.

HCK: What’s one memory that would sum up your experience at Kenyon?

HC: As far as singular moments go I have too many to say, but here’s an especially touching one:

The bus rides we take as a team are too long, and after a while we all are bored of poking at each other like brothers. During our trip back from NCAA’s this year, many of the Lords received texts from the freshman boys who were unable to join us in Shenandoah, stating that they would be waiting for us upon arrival. After many hours and many follow up texts for ETA’s, we arrived to those freshman boys along with many other Lords waiting for us with smiling faces at the KAC back doors. The first time I stepped down from the bus and entered the building, I found myself unable to say anything, and I kept my head down until my bags were situated in the locker room. I was overcome with humility and pride that these boys chose to take time from their days just so they could see us the moment we arrived. I was in awe that seeing us at the absolute moment of return could be the most important thing on the list of many things that they wanted to do, and when I was ready I gave big (emotional) hugs to each of them. After all the bags were off the bus, Wesley Manz and I stuffed his car to the brim with freshman Lords for a ride up the hill. Alex Swaim (freshman) sat up from under baggage and teammates to declare, “This is what I missed most.” He missed piling in a car with us, everyone squished and uncomfortable but as close as ever, pushing and shoving and poking and making fun of one another. He missed the two minutes it takes to ride back up the hill. He missed how close we could get, and how little time it takes for us to get there.

HCK: Awww, that’s such a sweet memory and sentiment! Thanks for chatting with HCK, Harrison, and good luck in all your future endeavors!

California girl transported to the glory of the Midwest. Art History major, English minor. Proud nerd and Girl Scout. Blogger. Gund Gallery Associate. Class of 2017, loving every minute of exploring Gambier, Kenyon and myself to find what the future has in store.