Beyoncé Correspondent: Queen B’s Most Noteworthy Side Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As the self-proclaimed HerCampus Beyoncé correspondent (Caroline? Ellie? Get back to me on that), I find it necessary to recognize all that is glorious about Queen B in anticipation of Friday night’s all-campus celebration of her wonder. At the fierce age of 30-years-old, Beyoncé has not only made a name for herself as queen of the music industry and one of the most loved female performers ever, but she has also established an entire entertainment empire under her legendary name. The following list is an homage to all things B has accomplished outside her unparalleled recording career.

Best Fragrance: Heat by Beyoncé
Given that I have not smelled Beyoncé’s other two fragrances (or as she refers to them, parfums: http://www.beyonceparfums.com/), Pulse and Heat Rush, I kind of just feel like Heat is the obvious choice. Why? Because the commercial she filmed for it got BANNED from daytime TV in Europe. The Advertising Standards Authority issued this statement in response to her sizzling performance: “Beyoncé’s body movements and the camera’s prolonged focus on shots of her dress slipping away to partially expose her breasts created a sexually provocative ad that was unsuitable to be seen by young children. We considered that the ad should not have been shown before 7.30pm due to the sexually provocative nature of the imagery.” If I wasn’t going to buy it before this happened (yeah right), you can bet your ass that I and countless other women who secretly wish they were Beyoncé bought this the first chance they could get; catching the fever, indeed, Miss B. See for yourself:

Best Movie Appearance: Carmen: A Hip-Hopera
I was SO tempted to go with Obsessed on this one, since nothing gets me pumped up quite like the  Obsessed fight-scene (#runnerup). But it’s really hard to ignore the greatness that is Carmen. Plus, B’s acting in Obsessed doesn’t quite live up to her Carmen standards – EVERY great role model has flaws, and it’s important to be relatable. Premiering in 2001, Carmen is the modern, hip-hop version of the story of gypsy Carmen, starring B and Mekhi Phifer. Beyoncé takes on the title role of Carmen, a starving actress looking to make it big WHILE simultaneously winning over Phifer’s affections DESPITE his engagement to another woman (scandal). If you haven’t seen it, it’s definitely a procrastination-worthy view and the musical numbers will have you workin’ it all the way down Middle Path for days. With a cast including not only our Queen, but Phifer, Lil’ Bow Wow (he was still ‘Lil’ then), Jermiane Dupri, Da Brat, Wyclef and Mos Def…how could it not be A+ (or should I say “B+”…but not actually because it’s way better than an 84-86) entertainment?

Best Televised Peformance: 2006 VMA Performance
 I will preface this with saying that there’s really no wrong answer to this question. We all know she kills it every single time she takes the stage, so this is purely my personal opinion – disagreements and alternatives are welcome! That being said, I was torn on this one too. I felt obligated to go with her “Love On Top” performance from the VMAs this year because it falls in so nicely with Friday night’s theme…but screw it, we all need a little spontaneity in our lives, amiright? I’m gonna go ahead and give it to her 2006 VMA performance of “Ring The Alarm.” Blew my mind then and still does now. Everything from the entrance, the trenches, and ESPECIALLY the dance break at 2:22 screams badass. Meanwhile she’s doing all this in stiletto bootz. She ends it appropriately, with her above everyone else. Kills it. Fire all day. 

Most Underappreciated Beyoncé Contribution: Superbowl XXXVIII Pepsi Commercial
I’m obsessed with this. Have been since the day it came out during the Superbowl (a Patriots win I might add, hayyy New England). Not only does it have two other incredibly fierce pop icons AND Enrique as the Emperor of Rome (…what?), but it’s just a fabulous commercial overall. They obviously gave B the best weapon – I’ll take a trident and chain netting over a sword or spiked club any day of the week. We all know who Pepsi, and Rome, wanted to win. They also not-so-subtly added a back beat to B’s section to give her a little flava — stereotyping?Maybe, but who currs, it bumps. Forced brutality of slaves and prisoners for entertainment’s sake (or Pepsi for the matter) never looked so good.

Best Clothing Item: Deréon “Hotter Than Hot” Leggings
 The name says it all. I need these and I needed them yesterday.
 http://www.drjays.com/shop/G1-V56334-R375-P1150466/dereon/hotter-than-hot-leggings.html

Caroline Black is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. In addition to co-founding and writing for her school's HC branch, Caroline is co-president of Beer and Sex, Kenyon's student-run freshman orientation program (and she enjoys making jokes about that title as much as you do). When she's not doing hippy-dippy acting warm-ups or volunteering with her service organization, The Archon Society, Caroline enjoys watching "Parks and Recreation" and dismaying her friends with terrible puns.