Allegra’s Top 5 Must Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This is the latest installment of a new HCK series in which the HCK writers recommend books for our audience! For more book recommendations, check out Jessica, Lexi, Jenna, and Amy’s lists! 

1. Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

While many people I know are quick to profess their love for the timeless Breakfast at Tiffany’s whenever it comes up in conversation, the majority of these folks are referring to the 1961 film adaptation starring Audrey Hepburn. While the film may be “classic,” the book has so much more to offer . With his elegant yet simple writing, Capote tells the story of a great romance. Its ending – one very different from the movie’s – grounds the story so that Holly’s and Fred’s love, though brief, is especially meaningful.

2. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

When I try to imagine the perfect genre, I imagine books like Larson’s. Though non-fiction, they are novelistic in style and are nothing like your typical history textbook. The Devil in the White City tells two parallel stories – one about Chicago’s World Fair and one about America’s first serial killer, Dr. H. H. Holmes. Though gruesome at times, don’t let this deter you from picking up a copy of The Devil in the White City; not only will you get your daily dose of history; you will be enthralled by the drama and allure of old-time America.

3. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson 

Also by Erik Larson, In the Garden of Beasts takes us back to another era in history – World War II. Following the Dodd family and their travels to Hitler’s Berlin, the novel gives us insight into the political atmosphere during World War II, not just in America, but globally. It is also an interesting exploration on national loyalties and where families abroad and out-of-their element, so to speak, should put their trust.

4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is another classic book that I think is best read in a person’s adolescence. The book focuses on a third-generation American girl and her ethnically-blended family in Williamsburg, Brooklyn during the early 20th century. Perhaps I find the setting extra special because I have ties to Williamsburg and witnessed how it has evolved from how it is described in the book to the mecca for hipsters, foodies, and musicians it is now.

5. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 

Game of Thrones is one of the most epic series . . . ever! While many devotees praise the show (which I do admit is better than the books), the series is definitely worth a read. Like with most book to screen adaptations, much is left out on the screen and having the inside-scoop from the books gives you insight into many nuances and “Easter eggs” that appear on the show.  

Happy reading, collegiettes! 

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.