This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Frat shoes. Party shoes. Throw-away shoes. They go by different names, but everyone has at least one pair. One pair of shoes that they purchased or use solely —no pun intended— to get dirty. This is an umbrella shoe able to be worn for a wide variety of events, such as (but not limited to): house parties, frat parties, bars, clubs, beaches, rain, or shine. So, what makes a good frat shoe?

Anna Schultz-White Converse With Patches On Diner Stool
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

My choice of frat shoe is a low-top white canvas converse sneaker. I used the following criteria when making this choice.

For starters, they are incredibly easy to clean. Frat shoes will get stepped on, spilled on, and muddied like no one’s business. The canvas material of Converse allows them to be thrown into a washing machine and come out remarkably clean. I’ve spilled various kinds of grease on them in addition to mud, dirt, and liquids that span consistencies. While there are signs of wear and tear, these shoes are in incredible condition considering what I have put them through. If washing them in a washing machine is not feasible, soap and water will do the trick, and baking soda is a good addition if the soles aren’t cleaning. The canvas also dries pretty quickly, so you can get back to living life and getting them dirty the very next day.

Converse sneakers are also a universal style. They can be dressed up or dressed down and can fit with any themed event. Black, white, gray, or any other neutral color or tone will match almost any outfit but will not steal the spotlight. Personally, I have worn my Converse with dresses, shorts, skirts, and pants, and they always fit right into whatever vibe I’m going for. They worked perfectly for a Western-themed event, a glitter-themed event, and everything in between.

Additionally, let’s not forget how comfortable they are! I value comfort when it comes to fashion, and while Converse do not have the most ankle support, I have been on my feet for hours while the shoes remained comfortable.

When it comes to other frat shoe options, a sneaker is the best way to go for many of the aforementioned reasons: they are comfortable, universal, and usually easy to clean. But if Converse are not your style, here are some runner-ups that I would recommend:

Nike Air Force 1s – I recommend these if you don’t mind getting them dirty and creased.

Vans – These can be a little more difficult to clean, but they are incredibly durable.

Adidas Superstars – A throwback sneaker to simpler times.

Stores and websites such as Walmart or Amazon also sell similar versions of more expensive shoes, and with party lights, no one can tell the difference.

Whatever shoes you end up wearing, make sure they can be cleaned, go with a wide variety of clothing, and are comfortable. Now get out there, and put those frat shoes to use!

Jordan is a member of Kenyon's class of 2026. Originally from NYC, she loves soft things, dogs, and anything chocolate. She likes to do makeup and has embraced her curly hair and can spend too long talking about both. She can usually be spotted in a pair of cute pants and platform sneakers, and will try almost anything once.