7 International Tastes of Kenyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Fun statistic: the class of 2016 is the most international class ever with 55 students from all around the world. Out of approximately 465 first-year students, that’s a pretty big percentage. As a freshman, I am proud of how diverse our class is; there are students from Morocco, Sweden, Singapore, Germany, and the Netherlands. Even someone from Kenya goes to Kenyon (so very punny). The International House put on a tasting which, as a baker, opened my eyes (and tastebuds) to so many more possibilities in the culinary world.

As I was walking away from the fabulous Nepalese curry, I realized how many delectable and palatable desserts there were. I began to expand my horizons by looking up international recipes for myself. So today, I am sharing with you my top 7 desserts.

Baklava (Turkey/Ottoman Empire)

When you have time over the breaks to make this honey-filled deliciousness, do not hesitate. The layers of phyllo dough create a crunchy and sweet treat. This can be made with or without nuts for the extra bite.

Apple Pie (America)

What is more American than an Apple Pie? This has always been a personal favorite, I have been able to use gluten-free flours to create a good ole fashioned pie for July 4th. As I’ve noted in previous articles, G-F flour and regular wheat flour can be measured using the same ratio.

Crepe (France)

In America, we have waffles and pancakes. However, the French created a lighter and buttery breakfast pastry which you can fill with whatever your sweet tooth desires. You can fill it with Nutella, strawberries, bananas, or if you cannot stand sweets early in the morning you can fill it with meats and cheeses.

Pan De Limon (Mexico)

Also known as the “Mexican Lemon Pudding,” it is made with alternating layers of cookie and a lemon filling. This dessert is perfect for the summer days with a glass of iced tea.

Fresas Con Crema (Mexico)

When strawberries are in season, cut them on up and place them with a cream. BTW–this dessert is naturally gluten free and is one of the most simple recipes for a college girl—especially one on a diet. You get your serving of fruit as well as the sugar to fill your cravings.

Poffertjes (Netherlands)

Personally, I’ve never had Poffertjes, or ever heard of them until I began my hunt for delicious cultural dishes. However, they are Dutch fritters. Which seem to be irresistible. Sprinkled with a little sugar or a raspberry preserve and I might just be in heaven.

Apple Strudel (Germany)

I love the sweet taste of apple in a light and flaky pastry. This is a traditional dessert, but is an all-time favorite. The best part is that you can use any fruit preserve in the middle: strawberry, apple, peach, etc. to mix it up.

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!