5 Things to Highlight on Your List of Summer Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

With summer less than two weeks away, there’s finally an end in sight.  When all of us nearly-nine-month residents of Gambier, Ohio scatter across the globe, here are a few essentials to remember.  

1. Relaxation – This may be a given, but sometimes it’s tough to wind down from a hectic week of finals and a school year’s worth of stress.  Even if you’re leaving Gambier en route to an amazing job, internship, or volunteer experience, be sure to take a breather — though it might have to be 30,000 feet above the ground.

2. Road trip – Doing something memorable with friends or family can only enhance a sunny weekend.  Hit the road, put the windows down, and drive to a place where you can experience something new.  Go canoeing, pull up to a drive-in theater, or check out that brand new shopping area!  

3. Music – Going to live concerts was one of the most memorable parts of my 2012 summer, and there are so many fantastic summer music festivals around the country.  From free jazz concerts in the park to famous bands touring in a city near you, check out the multitude of music options near your summer residence.

4. Family – Even if you aren’t going to be home for much of the summer, taking the time to catch up with family is a summer essential.  You’re away at college for most of the year, so whether they’re willing to admit it or not, they miss you (and vise versa).

5. Sleep – Whether you’re a freshman who’s finally has a grasp of college life or a senior who’s diving head first into the the real world, almost everyone at Kenyon is slightly sleep-deprived.  Been pulling all-nighters all semester?  Can’t seem to stay awake in your 2:40 class?  Catching up on sleep is essential for whatever comes next.

From all of us at HCKenyon, have a great summer, filled to the brim with sun, relaxation, and whatever makes you happiest!

Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.