5 Summer Pieces You’ll Want for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As much as I hate to see the warm weather and carefree days of summer disappear, I can’t deny it any longer: fall is here. But just because the weather’s gotten cooler doesn’t mean that you have to put away your summer clothes just yet. With a few additions, you can transition some of your favorite summer outfits to ones that are perfect for fall!

1. Your go-to shorts and a tank top ensemble: You don’t have to say goodbye to your shorts when the weather gets cooler. You can totally wear tights underneath a pair of them, just like you do under skirts. Wear a cardigan over your tank top and your outfit is easily fit for autumn.

2. A cute summer sundress: Throw a big comfy sweater over top of your dress and put tights on underneath (my favorite are sweater tights—they’re warmer! Ed: And fleece-lined! So nice, so warm.). Swap out sandals for cute boots, and you have a look that’s perfect for fall! 

3. Your favorite crop top: Instead of wearing your favorite crop top with a pair of shorts, you can combine it with a high-waist skater skirt to avoid exposing your midriff to the chilly air. Wear that with leggings or tights, boots, and a cardigan, and you can get several more months out of the top.  

4. That adorable maxi skirt: Maxi skirts are easy to transition to fall—just swap a sweater for a tank top and ankle boots for sandals. If it’s really cold, you can even wear tights or leggings underneath for extra warmth and no one will be able to tell. On warmer fall days, the maxi skirt will cover just enough to keep you from feeling chilly.

5. Your summer romper: Even a romper can transition to fall. Put tights on underneath and tie a long sleeve chambray shirt over it (or a jean jacket). Very autumnal.

With these ideas, you can enjoy the new fall weather while keeping those summer clothes you’re just not ready to say goodbye to yet.  

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.