This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the weather’s getting chillier. Now’s the time to soak up the last of the crisp air before it starts snowing, so in no particular order, here’s a list of things to do before dragging your winter coat out. 

1. Go for a walk

Walking is one of the simplest yet most rewarding things you can do this autumn. You can walk anywhere! Around campus, on a trail, wherever your heart desires!

1. Visit an apple orchard

Apples are perhaps one of the most autumn-like foods, second only to pumpkins (see #7). Orchards are the perfect atmosphere to appreciate nature. It’s also a great place to pretend you’re a pioneer gathering food so you don’t starve during the long winter. 

Kenyon College Middle Path Fall
Original photo by Shea Humphries
  1. People watch on Middle Path

People-watching is one of my favorite pastimes, but I can’t tell you how to people-watch, you just have to do it. 

1. Simply be outside

Enjoy this time before it starts snowing to soak up the last of the autumn sun. Doing a low-key activity outside such as reading, listening to music, or drinking warm cider/ hot chocolate is good for the soul. 

1. Play in leaves

Everyone deserves the chance to feel like they’re 5 years old again, and what better way than to play in the leaves? That satisfying crunch crunch is waiting for you! Either rake them into a pile or try to stomp on every crunchy leaf you see. 

1. Play a sport (football, soccer, frisbee)

The extent of my sports skills is elementary school soccer and middle school basketball, but if you’re more athletically inclined, go for it! This is the season for outdoor sports and tailgates (if you’re into that sort of thing) and with the right people, it can be a blast! 

1. Perfect your pumpkin recipes

Pumpkin this, pumpkin that– pumpkin-flavored foods, scented candles, and shaped knick-knacks– pumpkins are everywhere. It’ll do no good to complain about the amount of pumpkins, they’ll only multiply. I implore you to embrace it. Make some delicious pumpkin bread or pie! 

1. Learn to knit

Autumn is the calm before the storm (the snowstorm, to be specific). Learning a new skill can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. If you need a catalyst to begin this new journey, simply donate all of your scarves, hats, and mittens to a good cause. Then, rent a cabin in the mountains, far away from any store that provides the aforementioned goods. Finally, acquire knitting supplies and get to work before a blizzard. Knitting won’t just be a hobby, it’ll be a necessity. :)  

1. Go stargazing

Now, don’t get me wrong, you might wish you’d brought your puffy coat, but I promise you’ll be okay. Learn about the constellations and appreciate the vastness of the sky. Bonus points if you have an existential crisis. 

1. Go on a drive (or ask a friend with a car to drive you) through the countryside to look at the scenery 

Step 1: Gain access to a vehicle.

Step 2: Turn on the engine. 

Step 3: Turn on some tunes. 

Step 4: Press the gas pedal. 

Step 5: Go somewhere. Anywhere. 

Step 6: When you have successfully enjoyed nature, make your way back. 

Step 7: Reminisce about your lovely drive, and make sure to tell everyone about all the different colored leaves you saw. 

Look, I’m not here to tell you how to live your life, but I do hope this list provides you with some ideas of how to carpe diem before it’s so cold you wake up every morning wishing you’d decided to go to college somewhere tropical.

Mary is a sophomore at Kenyon. She loves baking, knitting, and watching cozy rom-coms.