10 Reasons Why You Should Get Excited For Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s been 15 years since the first season of Gilmore Girls aired, and eight years since the showing of the last episode. That is 15 whole years since we all first fell in love with Stars Hollow and all of its quirky, adorable, and humorous characters. So it’s no question that the revival season, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, is the biggest TV event of the year. Since the premiere date of November 25th is getting closer (I’m actually writing this while updating my countdown), here’s why I’m excited for Stars Hollow to come back into our lives circa 2016.

1. Everyone Will Be There

Literally all of our favorites: Rory, Lorelai, Emily, Luke, Lane, Sookie, Kirk (what will Kirk be up to, these days?), Paris, Dean, Jess, Logan. The list goes on. The major absence is the obvious and unfortunate Edward Hermann, who played the family patriarch Richard Gilmore for all seven seasons of the show and died last year. His absence has been written into the show, which picks up 4 months after Richard’s death, showcasing Emily’s grief. The revival has been described as a tribute to Hermann.

2. Four 90 Minute Movies

Instead of the multiple 45-minute episodes per season that we know, the revival is formatted as four 90-minute movies, each covering a different season of the year. Amy Sherman-Palladino wrote the first episode “Winter” and the finale, “Fall,” while her husband and writing partner Daniel Palladino wrote “Spring” and “Summer.” Although four episodes can be easily binge watched in one day, at least we’ll have 90 minutes worth of happiness for each.

3. The Ultimate Mother-Daughter Team

Rory and Lorelai. The best duo of all time. If their witty, hilarious banter is not enough, their genuine support and love for each other always makes for great, emotional TV. Plus, the November 25th date adds the perfect bonus of watching at home with mom over break!

4. Rory’s Love Life

It has been revealed that in the revival episodes, Rory is single but dating. And since all three of her major boyfriends are returning, we can speculate that her love life will be far from straightforward, just as we know from the previous seasons.

5. The Return of Jess

I’ll admit I’ve always been team Jess. I love Dean, too, and Logan is alright, but Jess gets me every time.

6. A Possible Wedding

It has also been revealed that Luke and Lorelai aren’t married. Well, hopefully they aren’t married yet (longest engagement ever?). But, on the plus side, maybe we can expect a wedding between the two lovers during one of the four episodes?

7. The Naturalness of Human Struggle

In the Gilmore household, it’s totally okay to not know what you’re doing with your life. In fact, the two women usually can’t even decide what to make for breakfast (so they often end up sticking with poptarts). Even Rory, the straight-A student who graduated from Yale and immediately got a gig as a political reporter afterwards, is now struggling with her journalism career in the face of a changing industry and questioning all of her life choices. If Rory goes through it, it’s totally normal, right?

8. The Relatable Factor  

The occasional, emotional breakdown over love. The shameless obsession with books and food. The ideal night of movies and Chinese food. And not getting out of bed the next morning, until absolutely necessary. Gilmore Girls is one of the most relatable shows. And I am way too excited to feel every possible emotion, while watching.

8. Sookie St. James

Her hilarity and outward confidence never goes without appreciation. Her friendship with Lorelai is also a role model to female friendships everywhere. And a shoutout to runner-up female characters, Lane and Paris, for also providing entertaining yet unconditional support.

9. Emily Gilmore’s Sassiness

Although Rory’s grandmother and overall bitter woman, Emily Gilmore, can be a bit too stubborn, traditional, and opinionated, at times, her sassiness is never the less absorbing. As the revival episodes begin, Emily has lost her husband of many years. I am hoping to see her progress through stages of grief and embark on an emotional journey of self evaluation.

10. Luke’s Diner

There’s something comforting about Lorelai and Rory’s repeated trips to Luke’s Diner. Throughout their growth as characters, their life centers around morning rituals of coffee and pancakes at the countertop tables, while catching up with grumpy yet sincere Luke. I’ve missed Luke’s diner and its warm genuine atmosphere.

I’ve always found cold weather as an excuse to snuggle up with hot tea and friends and watch Gilmore Girls, while imagining what life would be like in Stars Hollow. Perfectly timed to release during late fall, which means cold weather, the November 25th revival episodes could not come sooner. Find your family and friends or just your bed and a laptop and relive your days in Stars Hollow.  

Image Credit: Giphy

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.