Working women: the importance of women in the workforce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

In 1948, just 32.7% of U.S. workers were women. Flash forward to 2016, when about 56.8% of U.S. workers are women. As of 2017, the U.S. Department of Labor reported that there are 74.6 million women in the civilian labor force. That’s a huge jump from the numbers reported in the 1940s. Times have changed, and the rise of female professionals continues to grow. With all of the positive things that come from women entering the workforce, there still exists some negativity around a female’s position in the workforce. Let’s all take a few moments and remember what women can contribute to a professional setting.

1. Women can provide a unique perspective to various settings

In 2006, neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine wrote a best selling book, The Female Brain, about the way male and female bodies differ. While it is no secret that socialization and the way we are raised plays an important role, but biological facts also seem to matter. Brizendine says in her book,

“There are those who wish there were no differences between men and women. In the 1970s at the University of California, Berkley, the buzzword among young women was “mandatory unisex,” which means that it was politically incorrect even to mention sex difference.”

Although the vast majority of employers are willing to submit equal opportunity these days, there is no doubting that there is something different about the way men and women think. Each is able to bring a unique perspective to a professional setting.

2. Companies see an economic boost

Heightening women’s labor-market participation rate enhances economic performance in a profound way. Higher incomes for women lead to households placing a bigger value on educating girls – a key factor for faster long-term growth. Employment of women on an equal basis with men provides companies with a larger talent pool, potentially increasing creativity, innovation, and productivity.

3. Qualities that are often sought after

It’s no secret that there are qualities that are often thought of as being uniquely “feminine.” These qualities are often what make women essential in a professional setting. People who are good listeners, warm, open, and engaging, are now sought after, as employers and board members are realizing these are essential qualities for improving work performance.

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.