oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Why Songbirds and Snakes Deserves All The Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!

So, we all had a Hunger Games phase in middle school, right? Well, at least I did. So obviously, I saw The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes on opening night and my Hunger Games phase has completely resurfaced. Here are some of my favorite moments, and why I think SBAS should win ALL the awards.

Logo Gold GIF by Nordisk Film - Vi elsker film - Find & Share on GIPHY

hunter schafer

Hunter Schafer as Tigris was honestly perfecting casting. I (and the rest of the world) fell in love with Hunter Schafer in Euphoria and have longed for more screen time ever since. I honestly was hoping for a little more of her character but, I’ll take whatever I can get.

Capitol GIF by Lionsgate - Find & Share on GIPHY

the soundtrack

Lucy Gray’s ballads aside, the soundtrack of this movie is amazing. With the more subtle musical moments actually being the most powerful. For example, when Lucy Gray is looking at the Katniss plants, Katniss Everdeen’s theme song from the original trilogy starts playing quietly in the background. Of course, Lucy Grays’s performances gave me chills every time. When she was singing at the camera, while the snakes crawled all over her at the end of the games, I had full-body goosebumps.

Snake Songbird GIF by Lionsgate - Find & Share on GIPHY

tom blyth

Whewwwww. Did anyone else find it really hard to remember that Coriolanus Snow was actually…President Snow? Like, the worst guy ever? Yeah, me too. His beauty aside, Tom Blyth did an amazing job portraying Snow as a victim and making the audience have sympathy for him. It wasn’t until the whole “killing Sejanus” thing that I remembered he’s the actual worst.

The movie in relation to the book

I think the writers of this movie did a great job of deciding what and what not to keep from the book. While major plot points remained the same, smaller details and moments were altered to make the movie more entertaining and faster-paced. Small details like the order of the tribute’s death in the games and side character relevance were changed but, Corioloanus’s betrayal of Sejanus and Lucy Grays’ disappearance stayed the same.

The Hunger Games Curtsy GIF by Regal - Find & Share on GIPHY

…and also every other moment in the movie, but I tried to keep it brief.

Isabella Carvin

Kent State '27

Isabella is a freshman at Kent State. She plans to major in business and minor in entrepreneurship. Her dream is to open up a special needs children’s theater one day. Her interests include listening to music, binge watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and watching videos of silly monkeys.