Which Netflix Show Should you Watch Next?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Since it’s winter and staying in seems more fun than going out (or watching Netflix sounds more fun than homework) you surely need a new series to get yourself hooked on. You’re probably growing tired of the usual Grey’s Anatomy, The Office, and Friends reruns. You’ve seen them a million times. The good news is that Netflix is constantly adding new and orginial shows to become obsessed with. Here are a few you should check out!

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

If you’re obsessed with shows like Parks and Rec, New Girl, or basically any show with a hilarious and strong female lead role, this is for you. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt follows Kimmy, who is living in New York for the first time after being kidnapped and kept underground in a cult. The comedy is witty and Ellie Kemper is adorable as Kimmy. The whole cast is hilarous with their own crazy personalities and quotes. Before you know it, you will have watched the entire first season in one night. The second season is expected to be out in April, and the show has already been renewed for a third season.

Scandal

You’ve probably already heard of Scandal from your friends or everyone tweeting about it on Thursday nights. You’re probably thinking I’ve already watched Grey’s Anatomy and Shonda Rhimes killed my emotions there so why watch another one of her dramas? Scandal is a roller coaster of emotions too, but will keep you on the egde of your seat. You won’t be able to avoid watching episode after episode. The series follows Oliva Pope who works at a crisis managment firm basically fixing problems for elite people. Plus, you can’t resist her steamy affair with the president. Scandal will have you wanting to change your major after just one episode. 

30 Rock

If you’re a Leslie Knope fan, you will love 30 Rock’s Liz Lemon. Tina Fey kills it as Liz, who is loosely based off her life when she worked for Saturday Night Live. Liz Lemon works as the head writer of a show much like SNL: The Girlie Show. 30 Rock follows the cast and crew of the show as they juggle their careers and lives in the comedy industry. Fans of Parks and Rec and The Office will surely love this show too. 

Jane the Virgin

When you heard of Jane the Virgin, you probably rolled your eyes and blew it off. However, this show is a wonderful mix of drama and comedy. Jane, a religious virgin, finds out she is pregnant after being accidently artifically inseminated. There’s drama, laughs and a love triangle with two guys you could only dream of being torn between. What more could you want? Jane is strong and hiliarous. You’ll be laughing and crying, but you’ll also loving every second of this adorable dramedy.

Jessica Jones

You’re probably thinking really, why does the world need another superhero movie or TV show? However, Jessica Jones is an inspirational female superhero. She is a total bad ass, who runs a private investigation office. Jessica Jones is worth checking out, even if you usually don’t like superhero movies or TV shows.

Hi! I'm Taylor Robinson. I'm a sophomore journalism major at Kent State. I like Parks and Rec and hanging out with my dog.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.