This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

If you were scrolling through TikTok last week, you likely came across at least one video under #bamarush. Once I saw the first video pop up on my “For You” page I was immediately captivated by the unique world of Southern sororities. The trend followed creators posting outfit of the day videos and capturing their experience going through rush week for the University of Alabama (aka “Bama Rush”). As someone who has never been a part of Greek life yet studies fashion, it was fascinating to see which brands, trends and traditions are inspiring these sorority girls. Here is my attempt to unpack the sorority style…and finally figure out what this so-called “pants store” is.

PANHELLENIC PIECES

On “philanthropy days,” these ladies always started their OOTD (outfit of the day) videos by pointing out the t-shirts they received specifically for rush. As they seemingly are required to wear the t-shirts for these events, they each had to find a way to stand out and showcase their style while wearing the same shirts as everyone else. Many did this by buying the shirts in a variety of colors and matching their shirt to their statement earrings, which were a staple accessory throughout rush. These shirts were also often paired with a flouncy skirt or ruffled short and a “comfortable” pair of wedged sandals that never looked comfortable to me. In HauteLeMode’s recent video on the TikTok trend, he admired the creators who would go beyond simply tucking their shirt into their skirt/shorts and experimented with tying their shirt at the waist to switch up the silhouette.

FAST FASHION

One could not fall down the rabbit hole of Bama Rush TikTok videos and not point out the overabundance of fast fashion brands. Popular fast fashion brand, Shein, was the main offender and was the source of many creator’s “sisterhood day” dresses and statement earrings. This begs the question: why do these girls favor these fast fashion pieces? It is not hard to understand from watching these videos that the main goal of rush fashion is to show your style and stand out yet represent the newest fashion trends. Outfit repeating seems to be a major faux pas, as I heard many creators sigh at the idea of wearing the same shoes twice. Shein, Amazon and other fast fashion brands allow these girls to buy many pieces that are trendy and affordable. However, it would be refreshing to see some of these girls showcase more thrifted pieces or sustainable brands.

BOUTIQUE FINDS

Another major trend from Bama Rush was hearing about pieces that were purchased from local boutiques in Alabama. This was a nice change of pace from the fast fashion pieces and shows that these girls still enjoy finding unique pieces from local stores. Creator dollypartonwannabe02 (Emma McGowin) showcased several pieces from her own brand, Butterfly Girlie Boutique. Another local store you definitely heard if you were watching these videos is the Pants Store. Upon further investigation, the Pants Store does indeed sell more than pants! The Pants Store originated in Leeds, Alabama and now has several locations throughout the state as well as an online store where you can find clothing and gifts. These local finds are exciting to see in the sea of fast fashion finds.

LEGACY FASHION

If it is not from a major brand or a local boutique, many girls were seen wearing pieces passed down from their parents and grandparents. Second-hand fashion is very exciting to see, as it not only is better for the environment but also holds sentimental value for the individual wearing the piece. “Legacy,” when your relative was a part of a sorority, is an important part of rush as many people hope to continue their legacy by being in the same sorority as their family members. Wearing pieces passed down through generations therefore feels fitting within sorority culture which favors familial ties.

MAJOR BRANDS

If you had not heard of Kendra Scott before, you have by now. Kendra Scott is a jewelry brand that has clearly taken the sorority world by storm. No outfit was complete without at least one Kendra Scott piece. My favorite inside joke throughout Bama Rush was “normal” jewelry, where girls would simply introduce their accessories as “normal.” Clothing was often from Shein or boutiques, with the occasional Lily Pulitzer, Francesca’s and Rent the Runway find. For shoes, Steve Madden, Golden Goose and Dillard’s were popular brands. The shoe that appeared to be taking center stage, however, was the Dolce Vita woven sandal.

OVERALL STYLE

The major takeaways from rush style include lightweight fabrics like linen and cotton, tiered and flouncy details, puffed sleeves and a bright color palette. Gold accessories appear to be the finish of choice for the “normal” jewelry as well as beaded pieces in bold colors to match clothing pieces. Large statement earrings are the star of the show with more minimal rings, bracelets and necklaces. Solid colors and matching sets are a popular style choice with the occasional dainty floral print. Cerulean blue, bright pink and cherry red make up the popular color palette.

@dollypartonwannabe02

OOTD DAY 1 OF SISTERHOOD WISH US LUCK !!! @brookestewart03 @caroline_keith 🥳💗🌴🦄🦋🌈 #fyp #style #fashion #bama #rush #outfit #shopping #ootd

♬ original sound – emma lou 🛍⚡️🦄

This Bama Rush week trend on TikTok helped me get a peak into the sorority style, one that I cannot personally relate to. I learned about some interesting local brands like the Pants Store and some terms related to rushing so I could follow along with my favorite creators throughout the week. Although this is not my personal style, it was an interesting deep dive nonetheless!

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!