The Tricks and Treats of Big Little Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Yep, that’s right, it’s big little season! Coincidentally, its Halloween time, too. But is it truly a coincidence? There’s quite a bit of evidence to prove the opposite. With the playful trickery and delightful treats, this week closely resembles the whimsical holiday. The treats considerably outnumber the tricks, but the latter are not to be overlooked.

Obviously, the bigs’ gifts are the best treat of them all. A week full of personalized presents essentially equates to five-ish days of sorority Christmas. The gifts are often complete with your favorite colors, candies and sorority paraphernalia to get you decked out and in the spirit. I think we can all agree that this option equates to the joy we all felt as we lugged those 10lbs of fun-sized butterfingers and twix home on Halloween night as a kid. Receiving your big is the best treat of them all, of course! Think of big/little reveal as your elementary school Halloween party where you win best costume. Being able to finally meet and hang out with the mastermind behind all of your awesome presents could never be contrived into a negative experience.

There’s nothing maniacal or hostile in the nature of this feature. As the bigs’ identities must be kept secret all week, you could consider that their costume: you might have an idea of who they are, but you’re not quite sure until they tell you up front.

Another aspect of the tricking comes long before the big/lit pairs are even assigned. Active members begin scouring to find that “perf” little addition to your fab srat fam as early as bid day. From there on, it’s a strategic, indirect contest filled with the same girl-flirting tactics from recruitment to ensure that the girl you like wants you too. The competition isn’t always solely on the bigs’ end, however. There tends to be some crafty potential littles who pull some spooky trickery to gauge their top choices, as well. Many girls make it known who they’re aiming to pair with from the start, which only advances the rivalries. It could; if worst comes to worst, initiate a Halloween-worthy cat fight. 

Whether you view it as stress-inducing or joy-filled, big/little week is an undeniably exciting time! Becoming part of a big/little pair is an amazing experience for each young sorority woman, no matter who they receive as the other half of their duo. So, for now, sit back and enjoy the tricks and treats of the week and/or all of the Instagram posts you are bound to see in the near future. 

Elena Clark

Kent State

I am an ambitious, hardworking Honors Fashion Merchandising student with a minor in Public Relations at Kent State University. I am also a peer tutor at the Kent State Writing Commons and a member of Phi Mu Fraternity. I plan to pursue a career in Fashion Journalism once I graduate.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.