Doc Martin boots in snow
Doc Martin boots in snow
Original photo by Caroline Webster
Style > Fashion

Transitional Pieces From Fall to Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With the winter season quickly approaching, it is time to bring out the puffer coats and UGG slippers.However, it can be difficult to dress for winter with all the clothes currently in your closet. There are multiple ways to incorporate your fall pieces into a winter wardrobe. 

One of the best ways to dress for transitional weather is to layer different items. Cardigans are a perfect fall and winter piece that you can easily add over an outfit to stay warm. Instead of wearing a tank top underneath, opt for a long sleeve or turtleneck. Light jackets are another option to add on another layer.

Don’t pack away the tanks completely! They are great for layering under t-shirts and long sleeve tops. 

Also, if you want to continue wearing skirts and dresses, consider adding some tights underneath. Leg warmers have become a trend again and they would make a perfect addition to an outfit with tights. Invest in a pair of fleece lined tights to make sure you feel extra warm and cozy. 

Although the winter season is focused around neural and darker colors, do not be afraid to add pops of color! Hot pinks, reds and royal blues are great options to include into a winter outfit. Do not let the gloomy weather depict your fashion. 

Dressing stylish in colder weather can be complicated but investing in a statement jacket could really amp up your outfits. It is hard to show off a cute outfit under a giant puffer coat but a quilted or furry coat can be a hit. 

Winter is a great time to explore with fun textures and fabrics in clothing. Utilize this time to experiment and try out pieces with faux leather, velvet or chunky knits. Put the giant fur coat you jokingly bought from the thrift store to good use! Mixing and matching patterns and fabrics is a great way to find your next favorite OOTD.

Don’t forget how accessories can elevate your outfit, in the wintertime it is harder to wear a lot of jewelry with layered outfits. Yet, do not let that stop you from including accessories that will bring a look together. Some of the best winter accessories are big chunky scarves, tossing one of these over a neutral toned jacket can amplify the look. 

Another key accessory is footwear, even though your outfit may be covered up by a jacket, a shoe will always be out to be seen. UGG boots have been in and out of trends for years and this year they are back with their ultra mini styles. These can be paired with a pair of knit socks or add some color with fair isle print cabin socks. If you want a classier boot, opt for a chelsea style boot like Dr. Martens fur lined boots for extra warmth.

Although it can be harder to dress cute for a chilly season, there are many ways to make outfits from fall to winter. By layering different pieces, to adding bolder colors and accessories, these are sure ways to keep you looking stylish all season long. 

Emily Adorno

Kent State '23

Hi! I am Emily, a senior journalism major at Kent State. I love thrifting, music, and fashion.