This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Happy fall, ya’ll! It is crazy to think that summer has already gone by and now autumn is here! Unlike summer, I know that this season, while great, can be difficult when it comes to trying to figure out what cute outfits to wear. But no need to worry! I have a whole bunch of cute fall fashion trends that you can use to get your season started off right!

1. flannel

Anna Schultz-
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Now, this may seem like a pretty obvious one, but flannels are a staple to fall. One reason why I love flannels so much is because they are both cute and simple. You can dress them up or down depending on what you prefer. To be honest, I don’t own a ton of flannels, however, I am hoping to get more this season. My absolute favorite place to shop for any of my fall attire is Marshalls or T.J. Maxx. You cannot only find cheap, but also super comfy clothes there. So go out and treat yourself to a cozy flannel with a pumpkin spiced latte!

2. knee-high boots

If any of you are on social media as much as I am, then you know that knee-high boots are very much in style. Black is a very popular color for these boots, but I have seen red boots make an appearance as well. I think my favorite knee-high boot combination is with a black leather skirt and a comfy cardigan. I, personally, don’t own any knee-high boots, but they are definitely going to be added to my cart. One thing I can confidently say is that absolutely anyone can pull out this look. Don’t believe me? Go try it out for yourself!

3. Red nails

Audrey Hepburn once said, “There is a shade of red for every woman.” As mentioned before, red has been showing up a lot this season. Specifically, dark cherry red or just regular cherry red have been two colors that have been very popular. I believe that not just for fall, but for any time of the year this color looks awesome on anyone. Red is such a powerful color that really does stand out with any outfit you choose to wear. Whenever I can find time, I love getting my nails done. I just did a barbie pink color on my nails in honor of the movie, but my next color I get is certainly going to be this bold, dark red.

4. cardigan

Screen Shot 2020 08 13 at 34710 PM?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Another fashion trend that may seem like an obvious one for fall is cardigans. One thing about me is that I have really never gotten out of my cardigan phase. Putting on a cozy, warm sweater is something that I find so comforting and relaxing. A great thing about cardigans is that there are so many different kinds depending on what best suits your style. There’s long, short, fringe, ones with buttons, ones with no buttons, take your pick! Just like the flannels, I think some of the best places to shop for these sweaters is Marshalls and/or T.J. Maxx!

5. leather

nasty gal leather leggings
Photo via Nasty Gal

Leather pants, leather skirts, leather boots. Anything piece of clothing that is leather I am immediately drawn to. I feel like now more than ever leather is a fashion trend that is really making an appearance. Almost every store I go to sells some kind of leather outfit piece whether that be pants, skirts, jackets, etc. This is definitely another one of those outfits that you can either dress up or down. For fall, some great colors to put with the black leather is olive green, burnt orange, or a dark red. I recently went to Target and saw the cutest pair of black leather pants, but didn’t end up buying them. I might have to go back and snag them up.

6. chunky scarf

two girls eating fast food
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Personally, when I think of fall I automatically think of cardigans and chunky scarves. Specifically, plaid chunky scarves. Autumn is truly the season, in my opinion, that kicks off scarf season. Just like I mentioned with leather, since it is fall, these chunky scarves would look best with autumn colors such as olive green, orange, tan, brown, and even red. When it comes to print-heavy scarves, try to pair them with more solid colors. If you have time and need a fun DIY project, you can even make some of these scarves yourself!

7. loose overalls

Denim overalls is something that has been around for a while and is a classic fall staple, however, loose overalls is something that I have been seeing all over my social media and out in public. In fact, I saw these overalls so much that I ended up ordering a pair for myself. When I say that this one outfit changed my life I truly mean it. These overalls, or jumpsuits as some call it, is completely amazing and so comfortable. Not to mention, they’re adorable. If any of you are like me and have days where you don’t have enough time to put together a whole outfit, these jumpsuits are for you. I just throw it on and I’m good to go. I got my jumpsuit on Amazon for less than $30 and have already gotten so many compliments on it. Go grab yourself one and thank me later.

8. turtlenecks

cassiemarin
Photo Courtesy of Cassie Marin

Turtlenecks. You honestly either love them or hate them. When it comes to me, I know that I am a turtleneck girly for life. The sad truth, though, is that I really don’t own that many turtlenecks. I love the look of these sweaters, the prints are always so cute, and they will really keep you warm during those cold days. Turtlenecks are very basic, but they really are flattering on anyone and definitely stand out in the crowd. While turtlenecks look good on their own, another good idea when it comes to fashion is to do some layering with either a jacket or crewneck overtop. The options are endless!

9. denim

Baggy Jeans Fashion Photo
Original photo by Livi Harmat

Denim is a great go-to if you are unsure of what to wear this fall. When it comes to denim, I love flare denim pants as well as denim mom jeans. Something that has been showing up in the fashion world a lot lately are denim maxi skirts. I love the look of these skirts paired with a neutral colored turtle neck and some black boots. This is a clothing item that is so simple, but goes such a long way.

10. gold jewelry

Last, but certainly not least, is gold jewelry. If you keep up with pop culture, then you are very much aware that gold jewelry is seen all over. I would say about a year ago was when I really started getting into the gold vibe. I cannot go one day without wearing my gold bracelets, gold necklaces, gold rings and of course my gold hoops. Gold adds that bright pop of color to your fall wardrobe that I’m sure a lot of people want. When I am looking for gold accessories I typically go to Target, Five Below and even CVS! I know that sounds crazy, but my favorite gold hoops are actually from CVS and they were less than $10. So if you’re on a budget, but still want to look fashionable, don’t hesitate to check out those stores.

I know fall fashion can be a tricky thing to find, but hopefully now you have some sort of idea of how to get your fall fashion started in the right direction. So go get yourself a pumpkin spiced latte while sporting your new fall fit and take in the nice autumn weather…you deserve it!

Drew Berkshire

Kent State '26

Drew Berkshire is a communication studies major at Kent State University with a minor in public relations and theater performance. In her free time she enjoys performing, watching reality TV, shopping and drinking coffee!!