Tips and Tricks for Finding the Perfect Formal Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The weather is finally starting to become bearable, classes for fall have been scheduled, there is less than a month left in the semester, and we are going full speed ahead straight into formal season.  Between a jam-packed extracurricular calendar and the last round of projects and exams before finals it is very easy to procrastinate picking out a dress for formal.

Problem #1: There are very few clothing stores close to campus.

Solution: Shop online! No need to spend time traveling to the store, you can shop from the comfort of your own bed. In most cases the cost of shipping will replace the cost of gas.

Problem #2: What if it doesn’t fit?

Solution: Check sizing charts on the website and compare to clothing you already own from the company. If you do not own any clothing from this company check out the sizing chart for clothing you own from a different company and compare the sizing charts to make sure the dress will fit you. If you are still unsure order two sizes and return one.

Problem #3: Shopping online can be very overwhelming

Solution: Have an idea of what you want. Before you start online shopping set a budget, have an idea of what silhouettes and colors look best on you.

These are the top colors 2014 and will be easy to find online in addition to classic colors like black and white. Make sure to keep your skin tone and hair color in mind.

Where to shop

·      tobi.com

·      asos.com

·      nastygal.com

·      Boohoo.com

·      Forver21 (in store or online)

·      Department Stores (Nordstrom, Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Lord & Taylor, etc.)

·      Topshop.com

·      Renttherunway.com (you can rent a dress instead of buying one)

Sarah Cahn

Kent State

Ciao! My name is Sarah and I am a graduate student working towards my MBA. I graduated from Kent in May with a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I am a gluten free world traveler, wine lover, and Olsen enthusiast.