sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten Halloween costumes for your girl gang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

In the words of Cady Heron from Mean Girls, “Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” 

Whether you and your girls want to be sexy in corsets and leather or super cute in bows and ballet slippers, here are 10 costume ideas that will have other girls wishing they were a part of your clique.​

1. The Heathers. Before Gretchen Weiners tried to make fetch happen, the Heathers made teenage suicide trendy, all thanks to the angsty Veronica; played by Winona Ryder, and her sociopathic boyfriend J.D.; played by Christian Slater. Pay homage to the original mean girls from the 1980s by inserting shoulder pads into an oversized blazer with a broach.

2.  The Spice Girls. Good news; double buns, halter tops and platform shoes are back in style. The only thing you and your girls need are british accents

3. Ghostbusters. Your crew ain’t afraid of no ghosts this halloween. Usually, reboot movies and television shows can’t live up to the original. However, ratings from last summer’s film starring Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones proved the new movie could stand on its own just like you and your girls.

4. The PowerPuff Girls. Look like sugar, spice and everything nice while kicking butt this Halloween.

5. SuckerPunch. If you and your girls are feeling risque but want to feel like total bad asses, channel Babydoll and the girls from Zack Snyder’s SuckerPunch. Babydoll is sent to a mental institution by her abusive stepfather for a lobotomy. In order to cope, she escapes to a steampunk-inspired world where her and three other patients are battling samurais, shooting nazi zombies and slaying dragons all while looking flawless in heels and leather.

6. The Sailor Scouts. Have you ever had an urge to fight supernatural forces with a talking cat while winning over your crush during the day? If so, grab your pleated mini skirt and tie a bright bow around your neck to unleash your inner kawaii superhero.

7.  Hipster Disney Princess.  You probably have outgrown your plastic tiara and the long, itchy yellow dress from elementary school.  But, that doesn’t mean you can’t dress up like your favorite princess. It’s the 21st century and women are making strides in science, business and politics. Ditch the archaic troupe of waiting for a prince and have Ariel leave the ocean, not for Prince Eric, but because it was too current.

8. American Horror Story: Coven. By far, this is the easiest costume to create. Just pull out a few black pieces from your wardrobe and add a hat fit for Stevie Nicks.

9.  Spring Breakers. You and your girls have a wild side that may or may not involve drug dealers and squirt guns.

10. The Cheetah Girls. Break out your velour track suits, leopard print tops and get ready to strut your way around haunted houses and parties this Halloween. You and your girls are like sisters and will have many cheetahlicious Halloweens ahead.

Jillian Holness is a senior magazine journalism major. She enjoys buying too many lipsticks, thinking about brunch and daydreaming about staring in one of Rihanna's music videos.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.