Support your Student Veterans!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Since the passing of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, student veterans have had the opportunity to return to school and pursue their educational goals through financial support for living and tuition costs. In order to support these veterans during their transition back into the school environment, it is important to understand exactly what they are going through.

Many stigmas come along with being a student veteran, and students are often unsure of how to approach or interact with veterans. Many of these heroes have more life experience than the average student, and they need our help to make them feel comfortable on campus.

The goal of the SSVA, the Supporters of Student Veterans of America, is to “help veterans with their transition to college and to make them feel more welcome and engaged.” SSVA is a movement to raise awareness about the issues that veterans face and how to support them in the student community.

Are you ready to get involved? SSVA has created a 15 minute video series to help you get more familiar with the issues that student veterans face. If you’re ready to support your student veterans, head over to their website and take the pledge to support your local veterans through this tough transition. 

Connect with SSVA via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Y K

Kent State

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.