The struggles of moving out of my childhood home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

When I was in seventh grade my parents moved out of my childhood home. It wasn’t just where I grew up, it was also where I met some of my closest friends and made some of my best memories. I had lived there for 12 years and one of the hardest things to do was to say goodbye.

At that time, my parents had also recently gotten a divorce. When my mom announced she was going to sell our apartment, I wasn’t in too much shock, I was just sad that I was going to leave my childhood home and say goodbye to my friends. I knew I wasn’t moving far (just four avenues down), but it was the fact that I wouldn’t be neighbors with my best friend anymore; that’s what scared me the most.

It was really difficult for me to say goodbye. The hardest part of it all was packing up my things. Looking back, it’s similar to moving to college. From taking down my pictures and decorations to packing up my clothes, I knew it was going to be a difficult transition. Although it was hard at first, I tried to look on the bright side of things. I thought about the color I would paint my new room and how I would redecorate it. As I started to decorate my room and unpack my stuff, it became more real for me. It wasn’t an overnight thing, but eventually, I turned my new house into a new home.

Hey! My name is Amanda Levine and I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I love playing softball, listening to music, and watching netflix.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.