This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Being in college, when I see others reading in public one thing remains adamantly the same: it’s always an adult book. While adult books can be life changing, impactful and really important to read, we need to embrace something the college population seemed to have forgotten: YA (young adult) remains an endless source of fun, exciting and easy reading.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no vendetta against adult books. I’m just here to stick up for the constantly thrown-aside YA books that can end up being just as good as adult ones.

Here are some of my favorite YA books, and why we shouldn’t overlook them in our grown-up society today:

Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi

Yep, I’m bringing out the big guns early. This series has to be one of my favorite YA series of all time. The world, character and relationship-building in these books are incredible. The story straight-up sucks you in and dares you to attempt to leave. Also, as an avid smut reader…some of the romance scenes in this series literally have stuck in my mind way more than full-on smut. I think this has to do with how well the characters are created, and how quickly I became utterly emotionally attached to them. Read it and see what I’m talking about.

These books highlight so many important themes, such as horrendous governmental occupation, growing up at the hands of abusive parents and the extraordinary difference people who truly love you can make in your life. It has many twists and turns and literally won’t let you set it down once you get into it. I highly recommend this series to literally everyone. If you do end up reading, it please read the novellas as well!! The entire series is incredible if you read them all in order :)

Best book in the series: Ignite Me

Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer

If you thought I could write an article and not reference Twilight in some way, you’re sooooo wrong. This is the most important series in my life. I have so much emotional stock in these characters and this incredible world. While the writing may seem to be straight out of horrible “who edited this?” territory, the way that Stephanie still has a fair amount of people wrapped around her finger is incredible. These stories basically equate to a modern day Romeo and Juliet, and hit readers in the gut just as hard.

With the release of Midnight Sun a few years ago, (a retelling of the first book from Edward Cullen’s point of view), a reemergence of the overwhelming fandom of Twilight came into the spotlight once again, and for good reason. While I love the original books, Midnight Sun quickly became one of the best books in the series. Meyer’s growth in her writing is palpable and the information gleaned by not only Edward’s own thoughts, but also his power to read other’s thoughts makes the story so much better and more real.

Best book in the series: New Moon and Midnight Sun

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

I remember buying this series at a middle school Scholastic book fair, and bringing them home that night and literally being incapable of putting them down. I can definitely get down with some royalty core, but this one just pushes that to the max.

The Selection is about a dystopian society in which our main character America is forced to choose between safety and her first love. I reread this series at least once a year because I just love it so much.

Best book in the series: The One

Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

Am I unlocking any memories yet? Divergent was the biggest thing when I was in middle school, and in my small school, I was at the forefront of the crazed fans for this series. I remember rereading the books over and over and always being entertained, no matter how many times I read them. The idea that a society being separated into groups based on the most predominant characteristic of the people is incredible to me. It still stands as one of the coolest dystopian worlds I’ve read about. Also, the series just got a brand new set of covers that are absolutely gorgeous.

The main takeaways today in these books would be the power of betrayal and belonging to yourself first. Others come and go, but you’ll always be there. Choosing yourself first should never be a sin, but rather should be romanticized.

Best book in the series: Divergent

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Oh goodness, don’t start crying on me. Wait, that’s me, I’m the one crying. Middle school Emi’s life was turned on its head when I encountered this book. Was it so powerful that I morphed a fair amount of my personality around it? Yes. Did I go to the midnight showing of the movie with my poor father and sob into his shoulder the entire time? Also yes. John Green is not only a genius, but he’s also a YA mastermind. This book was so beautiful and well done.

The Fault in Our Stars highlights the importance of using your time on this planet to the best of your abilities.

These Violent Delights Duology by Chloe Gong

This is another retelling of Romeo and Juliet, but it takes place in Shanghai during the 1920s. The world is truly beautiful, and the two gangster families separating Roma and Juliette is such a cool way to modernly equate a blood feud. The characters are so lovable (I’m 100% talking about Marshall) and the story is amazing. I adore this series.

Just like Romeo and Juliet, this book’s main message in 2022 would be the importance of young love. That being said, it’s also important to not act rashly.

Best book in the series: Both. Don’t make me choose.

The Harry Potter Series by Daniel Radcliffe

Yes, I firmly believe Daniel wrote these books. Prove me wrong.

I mean, how could I write an article about YA books and not include Harry Potter? Do I really need to say anything about the world that has captured millions of hearts around the world? That has been created into a world-wide phenomenon for amusement parks, parties, and traveling exhibitions? Daniel really has a way with words.

Best book in the series: Goblet of Fire or Half Blood Prince.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Does this count as YA or is it a kid’s book? Either way, I don’t care. It belongs on this list. I love this book, with its darkness and fantasy. It’s just timeless. It also happens to be an incredibly easy and quick read, so if that’s your thing then pick this book up!! The illustrations are downright horrifying but in the absolute best way. This book is scary, but it’s probably good to introduce kids to things that aren’t all rainbows and butterflies, they’re going to find out the real world isn’t like that sooner or later.

The Giver by Louis Lowry

This book is a classic for a reason. It’s also timeless, but for different reasons. The sophistication this book exudes while maintaining an air of humanity is gorgeous.

With all the books being banned in the United States right now, this book is perfect to read. It shows the detriments society can run into if too censored.

According to an article written by Master Class, “Young adult fiction (also referred to as “YA fiction” for short) describes works written for readers between the ages 12 through 18.” Now, how sad is that, to only have a frame of six years to enjoy YA books without being judged by society? I say we stick it to society and shamelessly read YA into our elderly years. Never stop doing something you love because others tell you “it’s time to grow up.” Never grow up. Why would you want to?

Emilee Keaggy

Kent State '25

I'm a lover of reading, music, movies, astrology, and food! I'm a freshman at Kent who's interested in psychology, english, and fashion. I'm an avid magazine reader and I live for Vogue's September issue (and free tote!) every year.