This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As a journalism major with an Italian minor I enjoy language and grammar, especially the ways people communicate. This prompted me to read “Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language” by Amanda Montell. 

I am only half-way through the book and have learned so much as to how the English language can be sexist. I’ve learned how to reclaim words and fight back against the sexism within the language, as well. 

To me, the biggest problems surrounding how the language can be sexist are shared in chapter five of the book, entitled “Women Didn’t Ruin the English Language- They, Like, Invented It.”

If you enjoy watching “Clueless” or “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” then you are probably familiar with “Valley girl speak.” “Valley girl speak” involves uptalk, ending a declarative sentence with a question, vocal fry, compressing the vocal cords and reducing airflow to make the one’s voice sound creaky and the overuse of the word “like.”

However, Valley girls are not the only ones using uptalk. Most women tend to use it to assert authority over others, Montell wrote in her book. An example of such would be a conversation between an editor and writer in which the editor askes the following, “Her Campus at Kent State is celebrating ten years? Do you think someone should write an article about it?”

This is a positive use of uptalk as the editor is politely asking the writer to write an article even though it may sound like the editor is a little uncertain. Since the editor is not outright asking the writer, the writer may be more inclined to do so as they may believe the idea was their own.

Continuing with aspects of “Valley girl speak” English speakers should not be ashamed of using, vocal fry can be used to establish and strengthen relationships as women are not the only ones using it, according to Montell.

Montell writes in her book how vocal fry can allow women to compete with men for authority as the lowering of their voices causes people to view them more seriously. Don’t believe me? Think back to Elizabeth Holmes and how everyone was so keen upon proving that she intentionally lowered the pitch of her voice.

Regardless of whether Holmes did or did not lower the pitch of her voice, talking in a lower tone prompts individuals to view you as more authoritative which allows for you to be taken seriously. Vocal fry can also indicate to listeners how interested the listener is with the conversation, Montell wrote.

Another language tactic women often take advantage of that is criticized is the usage of the words “like” and “sorry.” I, myself, have been told to stop using the word “sorry” too frequently. Sorry if you don’t like when I use sorry, but there is nothing wrong with its usage.

Montell wrote that the overuse of the word “like” that everyone is familiar with is when it is used as a discourse marker–a phrase individuals use to connect their speech. For example, I often use the Italian equivalent “come” in my Italian class and my teacher never yells at me for it.

An example of “like” being used as a discourse marker would be, “I can definitely write that article but like, can you believe Her Campus at Kent State will be celebrating its ten year anniversary.” “Like” is being used as a discourse marker as it is connecting a new thought to the sentence.

This is due to the reason that we all need a word or two to help connect our thoughts better. Plus, “like” is not the only discourse marker. Others include “just,” “you know” and “actually.” So next time you want to complain about someone saying “like,” think back to the words you use.

I hope these little explanations allowed you to consider how to be less critical of women and how they speak. If you want to learn more about other language tactics and ways the English language can be sexist, definitely consider reading Montell’s novel.  

Adriana Gasiewski

Kent State '26

Adriana Gasiewski is sophomore Journalism major with a minors in Italian and English. Besides being the Philanthropy and Community Events Coordinator and on the editorial team for Her Campus, she is also a cultural and diversity beat reporter for KentWired. Some of her favorite things to do besides writing include reading, drawing and listening to music.