Separation of Church and State: What Happened?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The midterm elections are coming up on Nov. 8 with many vital issues on the ballot- which is why it is so critical to go out and vote.  A big concern for many is abortion and women’s rights in general. With the recent overturning of Roe v. Wade, many fear what the future holds for reproductive rights. A factor in the banning of abortion is the religious context of it. The big question is, what happened to the separation of church and state?

In case everyone forgot, which appears to be the case, the first clause in the Bill of Rights states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” So, where does that leave us then? Republicans love to quote the constitution and everything from centuries ago but seem to forget this one important statement.

The majority of arguments against abortion all have one similar aspect: religion. In some religious contexts, abortion is a sin and morally wrong. This is what the Christian church teaches and preaches. This is the issue with the argument though: technically it is not a valid reason or argument in a legal/governmental setting due to the rule of separation of church and state. Religious matters and affairs are to be left out when making political decisions in Congress.

We can view another issue similar to reproductive rights: gay marriage. The discussion of gay marriage is another example of government officials pushing their religious views into law. The argument against gay marriage is simply due to a religious context, once again. According to christians, God made man and woman to be fruitful and be married. Guess what: not everyone believes in God, so why force a law onto people when they don’t even believe in it? Forcing religion into politics is simply wrong, and according to the Bill of Rights, not justified.

It is clear that the government we see today, especially in the Supreme Court, is on a mission to fully remove the idea of separating church and state with the intention to infiltrate christianity into democracy. Democracy in the United States is crumbling at our feet, and we must do something about it. Regardless of religious affiliation, it needs to be left out of governmental affairs. Why should an old white man (the majority of America’s government) tell me what to do with my body? Or who I can or cannot marry? It is clear they want control and are using religion to defend it. Religion is an excuse for these politicians to remain in control and power. That is what the government is: power.

It doesn’t matter what you believe, but it is important that you use your free will and go out and vote. Use your voice and make a change during the midterm elections. Those in office have abused their power to control, and it is about time we let them know we will not put up with it any longer. Check your registration status here to make sure you are set up and ready to vote on election day.

Grace Clarke

Kent State

Junior Journalism major with Public Relations minor at Kent State University. I love to write articles informing others on a variety of things such as pop culture, music, fashion, or breaking news.