Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Relationship Lessons We Can All Learn from Our Favorite Famous Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It can be hard to know the secrets to healthy relationships. Often times, both men and women find themselves asking what went wrong, or how they could’ve helped their relationship flourish before it ended.

Below you’ll find your favorite celebrity couples are here to share their insights on what you should always remember while you’re in a relationship.

• Remind yourself of your long term goals.

If you’re looking for relationship advice that will withstand 26 years of marriage and more, then Michelle and Barack Obama have you covered. The two strangers met when Michelle was working at a law firm over the summer of 1989. She became Barack’s mentor, and it’s been a crazy ride ever since. Barack explained in a past interview that he has always been so interested in who Michelle is as a person. He said that he could always see her as a great mother, and someone to spend the rest of his life with. Barack’s way of thinking led to a marriage that has him constantly involved and engaged in his wife’s life, and vice versa.

• What’s meant to be, will be.

Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are the dream couple. Period. When you research a marriage full of respect and adoration in the dictionary, these two love birds come up.

They met while filming That ‘70s Show when Mila was 14 years old and Ashton was 19 years old.  Supposedly, Mila says she really couldn’t have been less interested in Kutcher at the time the show was filming. The two started lightly talking again after the show finished, through AOL Messaging. But, before the two could get together, they each had to go through their fair share of relationships. Kutcher married (and divorced) Demi Moore and Kunis dated Macaulay Culkin in the years prior to Kutcher and Kunis getting together.

The two even look back and reflect on how they thought they’d casually date, but that it would never lead to marriage (LOL, you can’t stop true love).

The couple goes to show that time doesn’t change what’s meant to be!

• Sometimes, taking a break is necessary so that you can both move forward.

Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth met ten years ago. They began their roller coaster romance while filming the movie The Last Song. Fans were worried when they saw the couple get together and have their first split within their first year of meeting, but then a month later, the stunning duo was back together. Nonetheless, anyone who’s kept up on this couple knows that they are currently married after their beautiful ceremony in December of 2018. They’re one of the only couples who never rushed what was right for them, and stuck through each other’s weird life phases.

We can clearly see from their relationship that their breaks taught them what really mattered.

• Be with someone who makes you the best version of yourself.

Kristen Bell and her husband Dax Shepard have been married for 6 years. Their relationship didn’t start out easy, though. In an interview with Harry Connick Jr., Bell revealed that the two struggled with fights during the first year together.

Bell stated: “Three months into our relationship he was like “Yeah you can’t leave anymore during fights I’m not gonna do that,” and I was like what?!… He has a very high standard and a strong code of ethics.”

Fighting or no fighting, you have to be with someone who makes you a better person and challenges you every day.

• Find someone who can make you laugh no matter what.

While it may pain some of us to see that our favorite The Office characters Jim and Pam aren’t together in real life, the real-life John Krasinski and his wife Emily Blunt have been thriving since their marriage began in 2010. The two are constantly showering each other with sweet compliments in their individual interviews and go on to say how much they laugh together.

Blunt says John is “funny and warm and bright and confident and a sort of emboldening person to be around.”

UGH. Swoons.

• You can’t change a person, but you can help them grow.

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith met in 1994 on the set of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The couple shares two children together and hasn’t passed up an opportunity to work at their relationship, which includes accepting the other for who they truly are. Will says: “Love is like gardening… I have learned to focus on helping you to blossom into what you want to be (into what you were born to be)… Rather than demanding that you become what my fragile ego needs you to be.”

• Sometimes love means sacrifice.

If you haven’t been in love with Blake Lively since Gossip Girl, and Ryan Reynolds since The Proposal, then I’m not sure what to tell you. Ryan and Blake met on the set of Green Lantern but started to like each other when they were actually both on a double date with other people. Since marrying in 2012, the couple has shown fans what it means to be great partners and great parents.

“When I wrapped Deadpool five weeks ago, within an hour—I’m not joking, I still had chunks of glue from the scar makeup on my face—I was boarding a plane to Bangkok so I could get to my wife and baby right away. I’ll do anything to be with them,” Reynolds stated.

Their thoughtfulness and love for each other remind us that a little sacrifice can go a long way, especially when it means quality time with your significant other.

Linden Miller

Kent State '21

A current sophomore at Kent State University, Linden is a public relations major with minors in Spanish and early intervention. Linden is passionate about advocating for special needs students, training service dogs, and planning new trips abroad. In her free time, she can be found running at the local gym or taking her three dogs on a walk around downtown Cleveland.