This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Whether you’re feeling sad, happy, mad or just plain content there’s an album out there to fit whatever mood strikes you. Below are just some of my favorite albums for each mood I may be feeling, and what makes them the perfect listen.

Pissed Off

Mania by Fall Out Boy

Death of a Bachelor by Panic! at the Disco 

Whenever I’m feeling angry, annoyed or just plain pissed off I love to listen to upbeat, headbanging songs. It’s the best feeling to release all that negative pent up energy through ear shattering and soul-shaking music. Albums like Fall Out Boy’s Mania and Panic! at the Disco’s Death of a Bachelor are perfect for doing exactly that. Plus I find listening to both of these albums will automatically help put me in a better mood as they are some of my favorites. “Emperor’s New Clothes” from Death of a Bachelor and “The Last Of The Real Ones” from Mania are two of my absolute favorite upbeat songs from each album.

Happy/ Energetic

Pray for the Wicked by Panic! at the Disco

Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer

I love practically every single song off both the Pray for the Wicked and Youngblood album, which makes them the perfect go to when I’m feeling especially happy and energetic. This way no matter which song I choose to listen to off of either album, I can stay just as happy or become even happier than I already was. I even saw Panic! At the Disco’s Pray for the Wicked Tour twice in concert, so whenever I listen to this album I’m immediately taken back to that high energy, happy atmosphere. I’m also borderline obsessed with 5 Seconds of Summer’s third album Youngblood, which was released three years after their second one. After the band took a break I was starting to worry they would never come back, but their hard work and self-reinvention really came through with this album, and I love every second of it.

Upset

Divide by Ed Sheeran

I’m really not a big fan of slow songs, but for some messed up reason whenever I’m sad or upset I do enjoy torturing myself further by listening to slow, and depressing songs. Ed Sheeran, in general, is the master of creating slow emotional masterpieces, which makes his latest album Divide perfect for when you just need a good cry. The album features songs like “Save Myself”, “Perfect”, “Dive”, “Happier” and many more, though these are some of my personal favorites to listen to off the album whenever I’m feeling upset.

Chill

Harry Styles by Harry Styles 

The 1975 by The 1975

I can’t think of two better artists that I would rather listen to when I’m just feeling overall chill and content. From the day Harry Styles started in One Direction to right this very second I’ve been positive he is one of the best singers on this planet as well as my one true love, and don’t waste time by trying to convince me otherwise. Style’s self-titled debut album was a highly anticipated one for me, and it did not disappoint.  He creates the perfect mix of soft rock songs that you can both jam out to or simply relax and listen peacefully. Songs such as “Meet Me In The Hallway”, “Two Ghosts”, “Sweet Creature” and “Woman” perfectly embody this mood. Along with Styles, I also love playing The 1975 when I’m in this mood and while they have a few albums my favorite will always be their very first self titled one. Their alternative rock sound and the gorgeous voice of lead singer Matty Healy proves to be just the chill vibe I need. Their songs “Robbers”, “Chocolate” and “So far (It’s Alright)” are the best ones to listen to when this mood strikes.

Nostalgic

Four by One Direction

From Under the Cork Tree by Fall Out Boy

Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a good throwback and these two albums are perfect to fulfill the craving for some oldies but goodies. Listening to Four by One Direction immediately takes me back to a better time, one where One Direction was still together and one before Zayn left the band. When I listen to it, I can see myself screaming at summer concerts with all my friends trying desperately to convince people that in a venue full of thousands Harry Styles definitely just waved right at me in the crowd. Similar to One Direction, Fall Out Boy’ s From Under the Cork Tree also takes me way back with classics like “Sugar We’re Going Down” and “Dance Dance”. I remember blaring these songs in 5th grade on my iPod shuffle. Now, when I still play them 10 years later on my way to class in the morning, it definitely creates the best feeling of nostalgia.

Though these Albums, in particular, may not be for everyone, I encourage you to give something new a try or think about what albums fit into these moods for you. I strongly believe music is a great and powerful mental tool to motivate, cheer us up, or even take us back to a particular time and memory in our lives.

Amanda Vogt is a sophomore at Kent State University and is from the suburbs of Rochester New York. Her studies include a major in fashion merchandising as well as a minor in creative writing. She has always loved writing and used to spend her days in math and science class coming up with short stories instead of calculating numbers. She is also an avid lover of all things fashion and makeup related and has been interested in the industry ever since she was little. She hopes to live in a big city after college with an unhealthy amount of dogs.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.