This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

CoverGirl tweeted the announcement last Tuesday, introducing James Charles as a “makeup artist, boundary breaker, and the newest CoverGirl”.  In a statement made by the company, “All of our CoverGirls are role models and boundary-breakers, fearlessly expressing themselves, standing up for what they believe, and redefining what it means to be beautiful.” 

Charles is no exception. He started experimenting with makeup a year ago, building an enormous following on both his Instagram and YouTube channel, posting makeup looks and tutorials.  He will make his CoverGirl debut appearing in campaigns for the brand’s newest mascara line, “So Lashy! by BlastPro” later this month.  

CoverGirl is monumentally breaking traditional gender boundaries in the beauty industry, exploring the realms of masculinity and makeup. For sixty years, the brand has catered to the female population but is now expanding their market to the interest of men. Charles is a great start to this debut, as CoverGirl challenges the gender of the makeup world.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.