Books about gratitude with the text \"practice gratitude\"
Kylee Kropf

Loving Your Body During Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for eating turkey and expressing your gratitude for family and friends. As it is the holiday known for its grand feast, Thanksgiving celebrations can cause food-based anxieties. It can be difficult to focus on the pumpkin spice and everything nice if you are worried about the meal that marks this occasion. Food can be a tough topic for many people, and whatever your relationship with your meals may be, you deserve to enjoy your holiday without stressing over eating dinner. 

The rhetoric that accompanies having a large meal—no matter the time of year—can be quite negative. It can also be difficult if insensitive family members make rude and uncalled-for comments about your body and food choices. However, we must remember that not only is food fuel for our bodies, but also that sharing a meal is an important part of celebrating togetherness. Meals can be a crucial element in bringing loved ones together to enjoy something special. Eating with one another can also serve as a vehicle for meaningful conversations and bonding. 

Although it can feel hard for you not to focus on the fears that surround consuming food, try to concentrate on the beauty of sharing a meal with those you love and are thankful for. Food does not determine your value, and it will never define you as a person. You are allowed to indulge and enjoy the delicious dishes that line your Thanksgiving table. You deserve to truly appreciate the good food and company that makes this holiday special. 

Remember that after you’ve finished your meal, your body is still beautiful and valuable because of the wonderful functions it performs for you on a daily basis. Practice thankfulness for the wonderful aspects that bring light to your life this holiday, including the body that carries you through it all. 

Annie Gleydura

Kent State '24

I am Annie Gleydura. I’m a sophomore majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in both fashion media and creative writing. My passions include fashion, writing, art, and makeup.