A Letter to my Younger Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Dear Little Sis,

First off, I miss you. I miss living in the room next to you. I miss standing next to you brushing our teeth at night. I miss our silent mornings before school when we wouldn’t even look at each other. I miss our ukulele jam sessions. I miss our constant bickering (whether it was real or just to annoy mom and dad). I miss the good times and the bad. But most of all I miss being there, participating in your life and being by your side.

They say that you don’t know what you have until its gone, and now that we are living 200 miles apart, that saying could not be more accurate. For eighteen years we played huge roles in each others’ lives. We went through every accomplishment, every performance and every milestone together. You were the first person I drove with when I got my license, you are the first person to know when something exciting happens and I was your first friend. You are stuck with me forever, whether you like it or not. I’m your older sister, and it is an unwritten rule that I am your role model. However, I’ll always be the first person you call when you throw a party.

I am away at school, and you are at home until its your turn to go off to college. The first two years of my life, when I was without you, were not too exciting. I may not remember that time very well, but you will remember your time without me. You always said that you were not afraid for me to go away to school, but you were afraid to be home alone with our parents, getting all the attention. 

You are my partner in crime. You are my little twin sister, even though you are probably going to be taller than me any day now. We may look alike, but we are very different people and that is okay. We are the same, yet we are also polar opposites. I wear skirts, you wear sweatpants; I’m good at writing, you’re a genius in math. If we were combined together we would truly be unstoppable. I want you to know that I am so proud of what you have accomplished in this past year and throughout your whole life. Whether I was there to assist you, or often criticize your actions, you know that my actions are out of love. I want you to grow up to be the best person you can possibly be.

Just remember that I will always be your big sister. Your friend. I will always be there for you.

Love,

Big Sis

Sammy Pesick is a Senior Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University with minors in Fashion Media and Marketing. She has a passion for food and a weakness for designer purses while polka dots are her aesthetic. Sammy is currently the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Kent State where she strives to share her love of Her Campus with the Kent State community.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.