This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As a 20-year-old woman studying to be a journalist, watching Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris speak gave me hope that one day my voice would be heard just as loudly. 

As I watched Kamala speak, I had chills. It amazed me to see a woman up on that stage, preaching about equality, compassion and change in this country. 

She gave young women across the country hope for a future where they can be apart of leadership. “While I may be the first woman in this office, I will not be the last. Because every little girl watching tonight sees that this is a country of possibilities.” 

Kamala Harris visting King Elementary School in Des Moines
Photo by Phil Roeder from Flickr

Although I do not plan on running for office anytime in my life, the representation of a woman taking on that role is so inspiring to me and I’m sure many other young women. To see a woman in power who acknowledges how much extra work it takes to succeed as a woman and how much more effort is needed before it can be a mainstream accomplishment is extremely empowering. 

In her speech she accredited the women of the past by saying, “I’m thinking about her and about the generations of women — Black women, Asian, White, Latina and Native American women — throughout our nation’s history who have paved the way for this moment tonight,” she continued, “Women who fought and sacrificed so much for equality, liberty and justice for all, including the Black women, who are too often overlooked, but so often prove that they are the backbone of our democracy.”

Kamala spoke to and for all women, no matter their race, ethnicity or age. She acknowledged their struggles, hardships, strength and determination. 

Two women wrapped in American flag
Photo by Courtney Hedger from Unsplash

Her speech shed light on topics politicians have avoided such as racial injustice, climate change and gender inequality. By addressing those topics, Kamala gave the people of the United States of America hope again. 

In the words of our Vice President-Elect, she plans, “To unite our country and heal the soul of our nation. The road ahead will not be easy. But America is ready. And so are Joe and I.”

And in the words of me, a 20-year-old woman, excited for change, “We are so ready.”

If you missed Kamala Harris’ Vice President victory speech or would like to rewatch it, you can click here!

Mary is a sophomore journalism major and PR minor at Kent State. This is her first year writing for Her Campus. In her free time, she enjoys writing, creating playlists, and hangout with her friends. In the future, Mary hopes to write for a digital music magazine! Mary's Socials: Instagram: @079mar Twitter: @00mkd
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.