This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Before I start my story, I want to make some things clear before there are assumptions. No, I did not party or not wear a mask. I barely went anywhere regularly besides work and seeing my boyfriend once a week. I went to a bowling alley a few times, but we are not sure if that is related to my positive diagnosis. They are not sure where my exposure came from. Now that that is all cleared, here is my story.

I went to work on Sunday, November 8, 2020, like any normal day. I picked my co-worker up that morning and headed to work. I had a normal shift, but I was tired. I did have to wake up at 5 a.m., so I did not think anything of it. After work, I took a nap and when I woke up I did not feel well. I scratched it up to allergies, since the weather was changing so much, I assumed my body was adjusting. 

The next day, I still felt like how I did Sunday so I did not think much of it. I went to work Tuesday thinking I just had allergies or a head cold. This was until I could barely taste anything, I again assumed it was allergies. I was also very tired but I again had an early shift. My boss could tell I did not feel well so she sent me home. Everything was fine, I just assumed it was allergies.

This was until Wednesday, November 11, 2020, when I got the news I did not expect. Someone I came in contact with the previous week tested positive for COVID-19. They were asymptomatic and are not sure how or where they got it. (Let it be known, it is still unsure if I got it from this person since we both wore masks when we saw each other and interacted). So, this resulted in my mom and I having to get tested since we both interacted with that person.

COVID-19 swab test illustration
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash

My mom and I had to drive an hour to get tested because it was Veteran’s Day and places were closed and many places were booked because everyone is getting tested. My mom luckily tested negative, but I however did not get that luck.

I tested positive on Thursday, November 12, 2020. They say my first day of symptoms was that previous Sunday. I had to isolate ten days from my first symptoms. My first day out of isolation was Thursday, November 19, 2020. But, I am not leaving my house until I get my negative results back. My job requires two negatives for me to go back, as well as I do not want to expose anyone if I still am positive. 

What they do not tell you about being positive and having to isolate is how boring and lonely it is. I live at home but I had to isolate myself in a different part of my house. I did not leave my room unless I had to use the bathroom or to get food. I was just in my room for a week straight since my diagnosis. 

Some places say fourteen days of isolation and some say ten. The Lake County Health Department called me and asked me questions about where I was and how I was. They told me it was ten days of isolation from my first symptom and fourteen days of quarantine for anyone else in my house unless they were essential. So, if you go through this, listen to whatever your doctor or health department tells you. It could differ by person.

stuck indoors wearing mask by Pexels
Photo by Nandhu Kumar from Pexels

Losing my taste and smell is probably the worst thing that has happened to me physically. Losing my taste was worse than losing my smell in the sense that it made me lose my appetite. What was the point in eating if I could not taste? I remember I was a mess and bawling my eyes out on Thursday. This was the day I got my results and it was finally hitting. This was real and it was not going away anytime soon. You think not being able to taste is great. I could just eat whatever I want, right? Wrong. Not being able to taste my favorite pop, Mountain Dew, hurt. It sounds silly but it has such a distinct taste that it hurt not being able to taste it. 

I currently can still not taste or smell, it has been about two weeks. I had a couple of instances where I thought I could taste my orange juice or my tomato sauce. But, I think it was just a memory thing. I knew what it tasted like so I think my brain was trying to taste it again. That probably makes no sense to anyone who has never lost their taste, but trust me, it makes sense. 

The doctor and the health department told me it may take weeks or months for me to get my taste back. I am praying I get it back soon. Things are weird if you can’t taste them. Try having pineapple and not being able to taste it. The texture is weird. That’s my one big takeaway from not being able to taste, things have weird textures and we never even realize because the taste overpowers it. 

I could have had it worse, luckily I just lost my taste and smell. I was also tired and congested, but those were milder. Although, there were some days I was so exhausted that I could not get out of bed. Homework or even trying to do homework was too much of a struggle. So, I did what anyone with a lot of time would do. I binged watched shows and movies. I finally got to watch “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”, a year after it came out and saw what all the hype was about. Along with this, I watched “The Hunger Games” trilogy again for the first time since it originally came out. I tried making the best of a tough situation. After this and finally getting energy back, I caught up on most of my school work.

Now, coming from someone who had COVID, I promise you risking your health is not worth this. I was cautious and I even got it. So, do yourself a favor and stay home if you can. If you can’t, do your part and wear your mask and follow your county’s regulations. Also, if you have any symptoms that may seem just like a cold or allergies, get tested. I assumed mine was just allergies or a cold and look what happened. Stay safe and healthy.

Illustration by Canva

Alexandra Golden

Kent State '23

Alexandra is a junior journalism major with a minor in criminology and justice studies. She wants to pursue a career in investigative journalism or in magazine writing when she graduates.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.