international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash

How to be An Eco-Friendly “It” Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

“It” girls among the likes of Sofia Richie, Bella Hadid and Jang Wonyoung who have become the latest makeup, fashion and lifestyle inspirations for teenagers. With the rise of fast fashion brands with impossible affordable prices, it is as easy as ever to emulate their styles, but it is not sustainable for the planet. If you want to be a fashion icon like the influencers you see on TikTok without hurting our environment, here are a few tips beyond tried-and-true thrifting.

UpcyclED CLOTHING Stores

Don’t get me wrong, at least 80% of my closet is thrifted, but some of my favorite fashion pieces are upcycled! One of my favorite clothing stores and is Kent’s local upcycling boutique is Sun In Leo. Ethically sources preloved clothes with a trendy twist. Like any curated marketplace, you don’t have to sift through piles of clothing to find something you would find on your favorite celebrity like you might have to at a thrift store. The prices may be a bit higher, but often the clothing sold is altered to give abandoned clothing new life. To stand out unlike any other rising fashion icon, having a few one-of-a-kind pieces from an upcycled boutique is a must!

Try out a drying rack

Have you ever seen an iconic influencer post pictures with (unintentionally) shrunken sweaters? You probably haven’t, as “it” girls are always looking sleek and put together, not a hair out of place. Skip the shrinkage and save energy by air-drying your clothing. Even in your dorm, space-saving butterfly racks can go for as low as $15. Not only are you saving the environment, but you are also saving your clothes from damage.

Biodegradable glasses

Brands like Pela Case are making sunny weather healthy for your eyes and the environment. While it is different for every brand, eco-friendly sunglasses are often made out of recycled sustainable material and minimal packages that stray away from excess plastic. Not only is it good for the environment, but it can also be super fashionable. Eco-friendly glasses don’t just have to be sunglasses though, as trendy blue light frames can be good for the environment while saving your eyes from digital blue light exposure. A final plus to seal the deal is you don’t have to break the bank! Biodegradable blue light glasses go for as low as $35, and sunglasses going for $45.

Eco-Friendly Role Models

One of the best ways to reach your full fashion potential is having celebrities and influencers to look up to for inspiration, and the unique outfits put together by environmentally conscious “it” girls are perfect inspo! Model Miranda Kerr is a perfect example, stunning the runway and her Instagram feed with perfect attire while also advocating for the earth behind the scenes. Kerr is the head of the organic skin care brand Kora Organics and shows her constant support to organizations like PETA and Greenpeace.

Being fashion-forward and sustainable does not have to be mutually exclusive, and upcycling, secondhand shopping and getting a little creative can be more fun than buying from fast fashion brands.

Zoë Eigenbrod

Kent State '27

Hi! My name is Zoë, and I am a freshman at Kent State University studying computer science with a concentration in cybersecurity. Other than writing, I love cats, listening to K-pop and drinking anything pumpkin-flavored.