This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Halloween. It’s every kid’s favorite holiday, dressing up as any character and collecting loads of candy from neighbors and friends. However, as we get older Halloween becomes something completely different.

As a kid I loved dressing up for Halloween, from being a witch, a princess, and even a “dead flower” (I don’t know how I came up with that one). I loved getting to dress up as whoever and go to school in costume and see all my teachers and classmates dressed up as well. The highlight of Halloween, of course, was the seemingly infinite amount of candy we were able to get from trick or treating. 

Halloween is a holiday loved by all, kids and adults. Some kids love the adrenaline of getting scared when something pops out at them while trick or treating and some are simply there for the treats. Children are creative, social and love all things make believe and magic, making Halloween one of their favorite holidays. 

But does our love for Halloween change as we get older?

Even as I’ve grown up, Halloween still holds the same excitement for me along with my peers, but for different reasons. My friends and I’s costumes began to change once we hit high school, dressing as Mean Girls my freshman year which meant wearing pink tops and mini skirts. As high school progressed we stopped trick or treating and instead spent “halloweekend” watching movies and going to parties. 

Yet with the drastic change from dressing up as fairies and trick or treating to staying out all night partying, Halloween is still a favorite holiday among many. When we get older, Halloween becomes more about socializing with friends, whether that’s having a movie night in or dressing up and going out over the weekend. 

Even those who don’t enjoy socializing all weekend at parties, spend time watching scary movies or making halloween themed snacks. I’ve gone from spending every Halloween trick or treating to going to parties to simply spending the night watching Halloween movies with my friends. There’s something for everyone when it comes to Halloween, you just have to figure out what it is. 

Talia Milewich

Kent State '27

Talia is a freshman majoring in journalism with a minor in photography. In her free time she enjoys going to concerts, reading, and going to coffee shops!