Hidden accomplisments by three stunning black women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

One of this year’s last released films is a MUST-SEE. I bet you did not know it was a team of African-American women who provided NASA with the important data needed to launch the program’s first successful space missions. They don’t teach you these things in school. The three brilliant African-American minds- Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughn and Mary Jackson- served as major contributors behind the launch of John Glenn, the first American astronaut to orbit earth. This achievement galvanized the world and became known as one of the greatest operations in history.

Based on this story, the movie “Hidden Figureswas produced. Director Theodore Melfi will show how these three women became the secret to NASA’s success in winning the space race. If the movie description alone does not intrigue you; The main characters are played by the talented Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monáe and Taraji P. Henson. There is no doubt this cast will uncover the untold true story about the trio who inspired generations to dream big and reach beyond the sky.

Just like many African-American women, it was hard to hinder Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughn and Mary Jackson from their destiny. While pushing the race and gender boundaries in the 1960’s, they paved a path for women of all ethnicities in STEM. I often reflect on the day-to-day challenges of a black women and how extreme they were during this time. Certainly, African American women had to work twice as hard just to get half as much recognition as the white male. We have made progress, but we are still trying to feminize society and make it aware of the contributions women made, were making and potentially could make.  

Our successes are often hidden, but that never stopped us. Black women are resilient. It is truly evident that a lot of things would not have happened without the women’s beautiful mind. Begin to educate yourself about all the contributions Africans and women in general made on today’s nation. Then, pass your findings on to your friends. They will be stunned. We all need to become aware. I found that being aware of ground breaking women will keep you pushing through college. I find it amazing that women continue to put cracks in the unseen “glass ceilin,” so that one day women following in their path can break that ceiling completely with as little scars and bruises as possible.

“Hidden Figures” will be in theaters December 25, 2016.  

-Article by Tyshaia Earnest

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.