The Lalaassorted Nail Polish
The Lalaassorted Nail Polish
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

You do not need to be an artist to paint beautiful nails that stand out. I paint my own nails weekly, and I like them to have a special dramatic flair. Here are five of my tried-and-true tips that will elevate your nail game from boring to fabulous. 

Bright Colors

If we want nails that stand out, we need bold colors. A single-shade manicure with a bright polish accomplishes a result that I am living for.

Special-Effects Polishes

There are many variants of special-effects polishes, the one pictured is a linear holo (short for holographic) polish. There are also multi-chrome polishes, metallic polishes, glitter polishes and flakie polishes. These fun finishes will keep you staring at your nails all day. 

Accent Nail

There is a certain elegance that radiates from a manicure with an accent nail. Any nail could be accented, but my personal favorite is the ring finger. In this manicure, I took it even further by using a glitter polish for my accent nail.

Double Accent Nail

If one accent nail is not enough, use three polishes and create this unique look! With a double accent nail, I like to choose three colors that complement each other and form a cohesive color story. In this method, the ring finger remains the main accent nail, the thumb and middle finger share a color and the pointer finger and pinky share a color. 

Gradient Manicure

To create this simple yet stunning gradient, choose colors in the same color family and arrange them from lightest to darkest. I would recommend using five colors of the same finish for the best result.

I hope these tips have helped inspire your next manicure! Happy painting! 

Grace Springer

Kent State '24

Grace is a Journalism Major and Media Advocacy Minor at Kent State University. She is interested in music and plays flute for the KSU Marching Band. Other clubs she is involved in are Sunrise Kent State and Tau Beta Sigma.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.