This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Only a small percentage of college students actually take advantage of this great opportunity. Studying abroad helps you stand out. I would not trade my experience abroad for anything in the world. There are so many beautiful things in this world to see, and it’s hard to believe that I’ve only seen a fraction of the world. I went to Florence during the spring of 2015. I visited tons of places including Paris, Barcelona, Greece (twice), Croatia, Rome, Venice, Pisa and Cinque Terre in Italy. I also wrote a blog for my friends and family to read while I was abroad. Below are things that I did and things that I wish I had done.

1. Take a language class of the country you’ll be in. Whether it’s before you depart or while you’re in the host country, this is so important. Relying on locals to know English is not always the best option. You are in their country; you should speak to them in their own language. Most people want you to try to speak the language, and after you try, they will be happier to talk to you in English. Your teachers know so much about the city you are in and the best places to eat and they can help you with any questions you might have.

2. Don’t spend all of your time in your apartment, dorm or whatever housing that is provided. While I was abroad, I noticed myself and my roommates walking straight to class or straight back to our apartment. I started feeling like I didn’t really know the city I was staying in. It wasn’t until the end of the semester when I started to explore Florence and take different routes home or walk into little shops that I never went into before. It is also okay to not travel to a different city every weekend. Learn about the city that you are living in and what it offers to you.

3. Don’t be afraid to travel alone. I really wish I had done this with one or two of my trips. I know that being alone in a country where you don’t speak the language and you have no idea where things are can be intimidating, but I think that you end up getting more out of your travels. You won’t have to worry about fighting over the map or ending up not going somewhere you wanted to see. You will be able to go at your own pace and enjoy where you are without having to worry about someone else.

4. Have a basic idea of where you want to go. I remember sitting around my kitchen table in Florence with my roommates shortly after we arrived, all of us being really passive about where to go. I know that having a plan of where I really wanted to go would have helped and I know that I would not have come back home wishing I had gone somewhere I didn’t get to.

5. Go on a tour of the city that you are visiting (if possible). In major European cities, there is a tour company that is called SANDEMANs NEW Europe. They give free tours in cities such as Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and more. They do ask that you tip your tour guid,e but they offer the tours in English. I went on two of these tours myself: one in Paris and one in Barcelona and I loved both of them. You walk around the city and learn weird facts and about the history of where you are.

6. Eat local foods and talk to the people around you. Part of visiting a new place and getting something out of your experience is eating the food. I love trying new foods and you get a sense of the culture you are in if you eat what the locals eat. Ask around, I asked one of my tour guides about places to eat that weren’t very touristy. She suggested this place in Paris called Chez Gladine. It was amazing. There were maybe two couples that were tourists and everyone else was French and living in Paris. The food was amazing and I was so glad that we went and waited forever because there were temptations like McDonald’s and Chipotle closer to tourist areas.

7. Research ahead of time. Before you go on trips, look up places to stay (I always stayed in a hostel). I always picked highly rated hostels and read through the reviews and looked at the location. I can honestly say that I am so happy with the places that I ended up staying. I made sure to pick the bigger rooms with 10-12 beds and I always met people staying in the hostels. I also suggest using budget airlines over taking a train. Ryanair and EasyJet are pretty great for what you pay. I went to Paris the weekend of Valentine’s Day and my flight there was only 15 Euros (about 16 USD). Flying also takes less time than trying to take a train.  

These are some ways to get the most out of your time abroad. I had such an amazing experience, and I hope my advice helped!

Hi everyone! My name is Ilyanna Keller and I am a senior majoring in psychology and minoring in global communications!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.