This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Name: Gabrielle DeLaat

Class standing: Sophomore

Major: Early childhood education

Hometown: Parma, OH

Her Campus: Why did you decide to join marching band in college?

Gabrielle DeLaat: I decided to do marching band in college, because it was a big part of who I was in high school. I couldn’t imagine excluding that portion of my life.

HC: What would you say is the biggest difference between being in marching band in high school versus college?

GD:  I’d say the biggest difference between college and high school marching band is the level of commitment. College band takes up a lot of time and effort to be successful, as does high school, but in college the expectations are higher. Higher expectations are great. I think I have become a far better musician because of them.

HC: Does being in marching band interfere with your grades/schoolwork or participation in any other school organizations or extra curriculars?

GD: I think band actually helps my grade. It gives me a chance towards the end of the day to blow off some steam, and make wonderful music. Being in band does affect my involvement in other activities at school, such as my sorority. I am not always able to attend every event I want, but I am still very much involved in my sorority. I always am able to make time for what matters to me. 

HC: So what would you say is your favorite part about being in marching band?

GD: My favorite part of being in band has to be the people. We get along just like family, and I always feel welcome. My favorite memory has to be that feeling I get when I leave the field after a good performance. I’ve performed a long time, and nothing else quite compares to it. My favorite instance of this was after my first college football game.

HC: What would you say is your least favorite part?

GD: My least favorite part has to be the rain, but I can’t control the weather. It’s a good time either way.

HC: What’s the biggest stereotype you face for being in band?

GD: I often get told I’m a nerd, but I’m proud of that. I’m doing what I love and have no regrets. This is who I am, and my true friends support what I do. 

Follow Gabrielle on Twitter: @baffydelautxD

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.