Life > Experiences

From Pescadero to San Francisco: My Favorite Bay Area Locations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Due to pandemic restrictions that have been in place for more than a year, many avid travelers miss taking trips, myself included. However, this summer, I was finally able to take a much-anticipated trip to Northern California. With local family members as my guide, I was able to experience several locations of the Bay Area. Today, I’m sharing my list of must-sees. 

Haight-Ashbury

Often referred to as “The Haight,” this area of San Francisco is home to countless trendy activities. Thrift stores and novelty shops line both sides of the street, and if you’re lucky, you might even catch a street performance or two. Perhaps one of the most well-known attractions of the area is Amoeba Records. Primarily a music store, it’s filled with records and CDs, along with books, t-shirts and other memorabilia. Haight-Ashbury is the spot if you like to keep up with pop culture and current trends. 

Shop in Haight-Ashbury
Original photo by Jenna Bal
Pescadero

If you want to escape city life for a day, take a trip to the small town of Pescadero. Here you can walk down Main Street to check out all the unique stores selling handmade goods. From soap to ceramics, these quaint shops offer something for everyone. Pescadero is especially known for its fresh artichoke bread sold at Arcangeli Grocery. It’s definitely a fan favorite for a reason!

Shops in Pescadero CA
Original photo by Jenna Bal
Golden Gate Bridge

As it’s the most iconic symbol of San Francisco, seeing the Golden Gate Bridge in person can be a surreal experience. Crissy Field is the perfect place for locals and tourists alike to enjoy various views of the giant landmark. Other places to spy the bridge include Golden Gate Overlook and Baker Beach. 

Golden Gate Bridge
Original photo by Jenna Bal
City Lights Bookstore and Vesuvio Cafe 

These two San Francisco attractions are located across the alley from each other and share a rich history. City Lights Bookstore is a famous bookstore and publishing company founded by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, a poet of the 1950s. Vesuvio Cafe was established around the same time. These two places became a popular hangout for authors, artists, musicians and other creatives of the Beat Generation.

Popular Beatnik Hangout In SF
Original photo by Jenna Bal
Pacific ocean

Who doesn’t enjoy a good beach day? In contrast to the calm, warm Atlantic Ocean of the South East coast, the Pacific Ocean on the North West coast is turbulent and chilly. You may not want to swim in its brisk waters, but enjoying a beach in non-humid weather isn’t an experience you can get anywhere else. 

Pacific Ocean View
Original photo by Jenna Bal
Chinatown

This area of San Francisco is vibrant, busy and alive with culture. Vendors line the streets selling everything from exotic seafood to kitsch knick-knacks. Unique architecture can be spotted on every block. If you want to immerse yourself in a new culture, Chinatown is sure to be top on your Bay Area bucket list.

Chinatown
Original photo by Jenna Bal

Finally seeing all of these attractions and more filled me with a wanderlust that has been missing from my life since the pandemic began. In short, it was much worth the wait!

So, whether you have an upcoming trip already booked, or are adding the Bay Area to a list of future vacation destinations, I hope you check out some of my favorite locations and enjoy them as much as I did. Safe and happy travels!

Jenna Bal

Kent State '24

Jenna Bal is a sophomore journalism major with a minors in English and web development. This is her second semester writing for HerCampus and the Burr. When she’s home in Toledo, Jenna enjoys working as a barista and spending time with her younger sisters. Her hobbies include reading, hiking, and journaling, and her favorite read is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. After graduation, she hopes to write for a magazine and eventually pursue her master’s degree in library sciences.