Focus On Spring Semester, Not Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Whether you vacationed in Rome, partied in Panama, or overindulged in Netflix; reality is beginning to set in: spring break is over, and classes are officially back in session. Memories of the relaxation you received slowly fade away as test dates, homework assignments and other obligations begin, once again, to play a major role in your life. With this blissful week showing us a taste of summer, it can be hard to focus on current obligations. Unfortunately, this lack of focus can be extremely destructive during this second half of spring semester because this is when most classes switch into full gear and your grade can either improve greatly, or get destroyed. Here are a few tips to help you stay on top of your game, and push through this final stretch of the semester. 

1. Watch motivational videos. As cliché as this may sound, listening to an inspirational speech or two on YouTube can be just what you need in order to get motivated to stop napping and start studying! Sometimes all you need are a few inspirational movie quotes, scenes, or songs in order to get you moving in the right direction; or at least the right mindset.

2. The thought of all the school work you have to do can be overwhelming, and although even starting one assignment can be enough to give you a panic attack, here is a great way to start dealing with the mess: read through each class syllabus. Make sure you didn’t miss out on anything important over spring break. Planning out your assignments can make for an easier end to the semester. Being organized helps to make your final weeks of the semester be almost as stress free as your spring break was.

3. Get moving! To get rid of some of the stress of school work, and to get the energy and focus in order to get moving on assignments; you literally have to get moving. The Kent State Recreation and Wellness Center is open most week days until 11 pm. If you have a student ID, you have no excuse. It is free for all students. Working out for even 30 minutes can give you enough energy to stay up all night working on that final paper, or studying for that exam that happened to be the week you came back from break… Even though it may seem like torture to get up and go to the gym, the end results are completely worth it. You’ll have a clear mind prepared to take on all of your obligations.

4.  The hard work you put in for the rest of the semester will make that first week of summer vacation even sweeter. Just remember, summer break is only five weeks away!

Y K

Kent State

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.