Five problems in the world today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

There are 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes, and 31,536,000 seconds in a year. All it takes is the blink of an eye for everything to change. There are problems occurring around the world today that some people don’t even know about. Even if the problems don’t concern the American population, it is still important for us to know what is going on in the world today.

1. Bombing in Syria.

Everyday, there is a bomb dropped in Syria killing many innocent people. The deadly group ISIS is behind all of these horrific events. Just recently, there was suicide bomb attack in a Syrian refugee camp that killed twenty people. You can read that specific article here. ISIS started becoming a problem in 2014 even though the group was formed in 1999. Syria is going through a really rough time and needs all the support it can get.

2. Global warming

I know a lot of people don’t believe that global warming is a real problem, but statistics don’t lie. There has already been some talk that hurricane Matthew’s origin is due to global warming. The climate change due to global warming brought the hurricane to the east coast. National Geographic has amazing information about global warming which can be found here. Global warming is an issue that shouldn’t be ignored.

3. Police and the black community

As far as I know, this has only been an issue in the United States, but it is an issue that needs to be fixed. I am totally “Switzerland” on this issue because there’s right and wrong on both sides. I believe that not all police officers are dictators and not all African Americans are criminals. I believe that the way things are being handled with this issue are not right. Every human being deserves justice, but it is also hard for a police officer to do their job if they’re afraid that they’ll get questioned for every decision they make. I don’t want to get too deep into this subject, but I just want everyone to be at peace with each other.

4. Poverty and hunger

Being a citizen in the United States is sometimes taken for granted. We are truly lucky to be living in a such a well-developed country, but even though we’re a developed country, we still have a high percentage of poverty. Many other countries have higher hunger and poverty rates than ths United States. About one in nine people do not have enough to eat in the world, according The Hunger Project, and 896 million people live on a $1.90 a day in developing countries. Poverty and hunger are killing thousands of humans every day all over the world. This is a big problem that we don’t hear enough about.

Now, the last world problem and, in my opinion, the most important:

5. Education

In the United States, everybody has to get an education, but that doesn’t mean everyone receives an equal education. There is an issue called the achievement gap where kids from specific racial backgrounds aren’t performing as well as other kids from another racial background. Children are also learning below their grade level. But, believe it or not, we are actually the lucky ones. Some countries, like Pakistan, don’t even allow women to go to school. A 16-year-old girl named Malala wrote a book called “I Am Malala” on how she was shot by the Taliban for speaking out against their wishes of refusing education for women. Students around the world typically don’t finish school. Getting an education plays a huge role in everyday lives and helps people create a better life for themselves. The current children of the world right now are our future. Wouldn’t you want them to have a proper education?

Anybody can changed the world, you just need the motivation to want to.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.