Style > Beauty

Five Cruelty-Free Makeup Dupes for Your Favorite Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Scientists testing products on animals has been happening for years, and it does not stop with makeup. Some of the most popular brands still use these tests which most people have no idea about. Hundreds of thousands of animals are tested on for cosmetics alone, and are often harmed or killed in the process. In the United States and in many other countries, animal testing is not required by law but still persists. Many scientists argue that testing is necessary for the safety of the consumer. This may be true to an extent, but there are thousands of ingredients used for cosmetics that are already considered safe to use. Technology has also allowed for many safety tests to be conducted without animal abuse which makes animal testing unnecessary. Many brands claim to be anti-cruelty but continue to sell products in China, where they mandate animal testing for makeup products.

I know you may be wondering, how can you help and why does your contribution matter? Large cosmetic companies dominate the makeup industry and still own brands that test on animals. If consumers simply stop buying their products in favor of similar, anti-cruelty products, it may force them into a position to make change. The transition to anti-cruelty products may seem difficult, as some very popular brands still test on animals, but I hope that this list of dupes for well-known products can help you get started on your cruelty-free journey.

1. Maybelline New York Fit Me! Foundation ($7.99-1 oz): This foundation is very well-known for its matte finish, but an anti-cruelty dupe can be found for even cheaper. It is the e.l.f. Flawless Finish Foundation, ($5.99-0.68z) which is my favorite for its finish and its long-lasting effect.

2. Benefit the POREfessional Face Primer ($12-0.25 oz): Benefit is one brand that has dominated the makeup industry with a cult-following and consistent product. However, the N.Y.X. Professional Makeup Pore Filler ($13.99-0.67oz) is a great option as they are very similar in consistency, and the N.Y.X. version is cheaper.
  3. Nars Radiant Cream Concealer ($13-0.05 oz): Nars has been anti-cruelty until recently, when they announced that they were beginning to sell in China. The N.Y.X. Photogenic Concealer Wand ($5.99-0.11 oz) is a very similar product with very high ratings.
  4. Benefit Hoola Bronzer ($15-0.14 oz): Once again, Benefit as a cosmetic brand does not benefit animals. This product is very popular, but the No7 Match Made Bronzer ($12.99-0.35oz) has been proven to have a similar effect and can be found at drugstores.
  5. Benefit They’re Real! Mascara ($24-0.3 oz): This product is pricey but has had a consistent following. The Urban Decay Perversion Mascara ($24-0.4 oz) is the same price for slightly more product, has a very similar wand and has very high reviews.

These anti-cruelty products have proven to be more affordable with similar effects that have a dramatically different impact on animal rights. The most important thing to remember is that every person’s contribution matters. Making the conscious effort towards purchasing anti-cruelty products will help animals across the world. For more information on this topic and a full list of anti-cruelty brands, I would recommend visiting www.crueltyfreekitty.com

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.