Female Disney and Pixar characters who are NOT damsels in distress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The newest Disney movie, “Moana,” will be released to theaters this upcoming Thanksgiving. Although I may seem to be too old for Disney movies, I am personally super pumped. I am excited because Lin-Manuel Miranda helped write the music. However, I am more excited about the fact that Moana is not a traditional Disney female character.

When I was a little girl, I loved Disney movies, but I could never relate to the female characters. As a kid, I thought the girls were petty and pathetic. Snow White complained the entire movie and needed a prince to wake her from a sleep spell. Cinderella, instead of just not going back to her evil stepmother’s house (seriously… why did she go back to the house?), needed a man to rescue her. Even in “Tangled,” which is a fairly new movie, Rapunzel needs Flynn Ryder to save the day. In a lot of Disney movies, it seems that some women have three roles: 1) sleep, 2) complain and 3) clean a house or a room.

Moana does NOT seem like she spends her time sleeping and singing to animals. The whole premise of the movie is that Moana is travelling to another island to save the people from her village. Does that seem like a damsel in distress to you?

As I thought about Moana, I thought about all of the other Disney and Pixar female characters who are not portrayed as dainty creatures. They are the characters I love and could actually connect with. I know many other women who would agree with me.

Below are some examples that stand out to me:

1. Merida from “Brave”

Although Merida is a pretty obvious choice, I cannot help but love that character. Throughout the whole movie, Merida defies her parents’ wishes to choose a suitor for her to marry. Merida constantly sticks it to the man, whether it is by kicking ass at an archery tournament or saving her mother.

2. Pocahontas

Yes, Pocahontas falls in love. Yes, she risks her life for a man. But Pocahontas does not need a man to protect her. Throughout the movie, Pocahontas is an independent, Native American woman who aims to protect her village. Pocahontas is strong and no man can take that away from her.

*Obviously, the real-life Pocahontas’s story and the fictional Pocahontas’s story are very different. We are just going based off of the Disneyfied version.

3. Elsa from “Frozen”

Although Anna eventually learns that she does not need a man to find happily ever after, she is not this way at the beginning of the movie. Elsa, however, knows that she does not need anyone to find happiness. At first, all Elsa wants is acceptance. After that plan falls through, all Elsa wants is to be herself. Finally, at the end of the movie, all Elsa wants is happiness from her sister. Elsa, who is without a doubt one of the most complex Disney female characters, manages to love herself and bring happiness to her entire country…without a man telling her what to do.

4. Tiana from “The Princess and the Frog”

In “Snow White” and “Cinderella” the princesses at the beginning of the films sing about how they cannot wait for princes to sweep them off of their feet. Tiana did not sing about men at the beginning of the film. She did sing about opening a restaurant and working hard to reach her goals. Throughout the movie, Tiana has this same goal in mind. Tiana does fall in love and eventually opens a restaurant with a prince. However, I know she runs that place better than any man ever could.

5. Judy Hopps from “Zootopia”

“Zootopia” is not just a silly Disney movie with singing creatures. It tackles a lot of current issues, from racism to police brutality. It also focuses on gender equality and feminism. Judy Hopps is a bunny who is constantly doubted for being too small to be a police officer. However, through hard work and dedication, Judy proves that, although she is small, she is a badass lady and a great cop.

6. Joy from “Inside Out”

Okay, “Inside Out” does not have a romantic story woven into it because it focuses on emotions. Joy fights through many obstacles just to make Riley, the person she emotes for, happy. Joy is not a damsel, and Joy is definitely a strong character that is portrayed as a female.

7. Dory from “Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory”

Last but not least is Dory. Dory is the best. We all know it to be true. During both movies Dory does not let short-term memory loss hold her back. She also does not Marlin’s doubts hold her back from finding Nemo or her family. Dory has a lot pushing against her; However, through positivity and strength, Dory pushes back. She reminds us to never give up and to “just keep swimming.”

If you want to see another character who is not a damsel in distress, check out the Moana trailer.

Lauryn Rosinski is a senior at Kent State University. She is currently studying public relations, and she is hoping to work in the public relations or event-planning fields when she graduates. She would also enjoy blogging or free lance writing in her spare time. At Kent State University, along with being a writer for Her Campus, she a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America, a campus tour guide and an employee at the Kent Plaza Theatre. Lauryn is incredibly excited and grateful to work with such talented people at Her Campus, and she looks forward to reaching out to Her Campus followers!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.