Every Girl’s Guide to Styling Plaid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Just as the autumn breeze, rich colored leaves, and pumpkin spice lattes roll in, so do blanket scarves, adorable ankle booties, and, of course, all things plaid. Walking across a college campus in autumn is akin to walking through the plaid aisle at a fabric store. Blanket scarves, coats, trousers, hats, and button up shirts are some of the options that come in the cozy plaid print. Whether you’re a vampy-lipped grunge, a clean lined prep, a laid back bohemian, or an edgy modern woman, there are plenty of plaid options for you.

1. Grunge Girl

(Above) Leather and a unique plaid coloring make for the perfect modern grunge outfit. 

To get the modern grunge look of a plaid pant go to Forever 21 to find your perfect tartan plaid trouser ($27.90).

Today’s grunge girl is the quintessential cool girl, with an “I don’t care” attitude and style to match. An all black ensemble paired with a pop of plaid is a great way to carry the grunge style into the cooler months. Dress the grunge style up by pairing black jeans or leather leggings with a cool and sophisticated plaid moto jacket from LuLu’s ($63).

(below) Choosing deeper colored plaids with black, green, blue, and red are easy ways to add edge to the plaid style.

2. Preppy Plaid

(Below) Nothing says preppy like a button up shirt paired with a classic blazer. To achieve this classy look, go to Gap to find plenty of classic button up plaid shirts ($29.95). 

The cooler weather of fall ushers in tailored jackets, riding boots, and all things preppy. Plaid lends itself perfectly to the preppy style by pairing button up shirts with fitted jackets. Another way to style plaid for the inner prep in us all is to style a plaid mini skirt from Banana Republic ($88). Choosing to go with a mini skirt will ensure that the outfit stay modern and youthful all while retaining the perfect balance of prep. 

3. Bohemian Beauty

(Below) Capturing the bohemian style, a wardrobe staple for fall, is the plaid blanket scarf. Francesca’s (right) offers a perfect blanket scarf that can be styled in many ways ($44). 

Bohemian silhouettes are most often seen in spring and summer clothing, where the fabrics are lighter and the styles more loose fitting for the heat; however, there are still ways to hold onto that bohemian style in the cooler weather. Utilizing the layering pieces of fall weather, a chic poncho and practically any sweater with fringe are sure fire ways to instantly add a little boho to any outfit. In addition, looser fitting dresses give a boho vibe and a unique plaid coloring instantly makes any outfit more laid back (Urban Outfitters $69). 

4. Modern Minimalist

Modern fashion at its finest, an adorable and edgy plaid skirt with zipper details is the perfect way to take advantage of modern minimalism fashion (Right: Gap $59.95).

Modern fashion is all about minimalism and one focal point of an outfit. A perfect way to have the wardrobe of a modern fashionista is to have strong focal pieces such as a powerful plaid skirt, heel (Target. $39.99), or accessory.  

Plaid is the type of print that transcends any age range or personal style. It can be dressed up or down and anywhere in between. Just don’t forget to have fun with plaid this fall!

Hi! My name is Sarah Waite and I am a sophomore Fashion Design and Pre-Law student. I love writing, sewing, crafting, and hanging with friends. Pinterest and Instagram addict!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.