This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As a self-proclaimed film nerd, I am very excited for the rest of this year of movies. Going into award season, there are several movies finally releasing in theaters that are going to have a cultural impact, whether that is with critical acclaim or simply some classic movie fun. If you are looking for some new movies to see for the remainder of the year, this list is for you. Happy watching!

Parasite (October 11)

When Parasite premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, it was met with immediate praise and received the highest award (the Palme d’Or). By many critics and film fanatics who have seen it in other limited releases, it is being easily regarded as one of the best of the year and even the decade. Parasite follows the Kim’s who begin a relationship with the rich Park’s where chaos and greed ensues. This satirical thriller comes from the acclaimed director Bong Joon-ho, best known for Snowpiercer, Memories of Murder and Okja. Although this is a foreign language film, I hope that your interest is still peaked to what many are calling a masterpiece of cinema.

Zombieland: Double Tap (October 18)

After the popular first installment of the series (Zombieland), this film follows the star-studded cast once again as they fight the undead. If Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg and Zoey Deutch were not enough to get you in the theater, maybe the critical and audience acclaim from the first installment could help. Zombieland remains certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with 90% from critics and 86% from audiences. This comedy/horror is the perfect movie to watch before Halloween.

The Lighthouse (October 18)

Okay, I might be biased on this one because this is one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Yes, I have the emoji pack downloaded already. The trailer for The Lighthouse gives the perfect amount to make audiences and critics equally intrigued. Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe team up for this black and white tale of two 1890s lighthouse keepers on a mysterious island. Not completely sold yet? It is already certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with 94%. It has me asking: “Why’d ya spill yer beans?”

Honey Boy (November 8)

Last February, I wrote about the Sundance Film Festival and one of the films that received immense praise was Honey Boy. Written and starring Shia LaBeouf, Honey Boy is based on his own childhood, growing up as a young actor and dealing with the complicated relationship with his father played by LaBeouf himself. Lucas Hedges also has a major role as grown up Otis. This film is being released by Amazon Studios, so it will most likely become available to Amazon users following its theatrical release.

Waves (November 15)

Waves comes from director Trey Edward Shults (It Comes at Night) and follows a suburban African American family as they endure loss. The critical consensus from Rotten Tomatoes is that Waves captures complicated dynamics with tenderness and grace.” Starring Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Luce, It Comes at Night), Sterling K. Brown (Black Panther, This Is Us) and Alexa Demie (Euphoria, Mid90s), this film promises to explore the complexity of family with relatability, especially to Generation Z.

Knives Out (November 27)

Now this one looks fun. Knives Out stars everyone you could imagine (Chris Evans, Toni Collette, Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas, LaKeith Stanfield, Jamie Lee Curtis and many more) in a comedic murder mystery. The death of family member in a wealthy family leads to an eccentric and dramatic search for the killer. Director Rian Johnson of Looper and Star Wars: The Last Jedi promises action, comedy and the fun of a classic murder mystery.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (December 6)

This is another foreign language film, but I am not sorry because if it is an important movie, it should not matter what language it is in. Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a French film telling the romantic story of an artist who is tasked with painting the wedding portrait for a young woman on a remote island at the end of the eighteenth century. It is currently standing as certified fresh with 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. Let’s support this beautiful romance with its strong female leads and female director, Céline Sciamma.

Uncut Gems (December 13)

Uncut Gems stars Adam Sandler as a jeweler in New York City who makes several high-stake gambles that could cause his downfall. This crime drama looks like it will keep audiences on the edge of their seats with a role that we normally do not see Sandler in. From the acclaimed Safdie brothers, this film promises dynamic action and performances that have already garnered positive critical attention. The Weeknd will also be playing himself in the film so that alone is worth the watch.

Little Women (December 25)

Based on the classic novels by Louisa May Alcott, Little Women is a beloved tale that has been told through each generation. I am particularly excited for this version as director Greta Gerwig, known best for directing Lady Bird, comes back with her second film. The story follows the March sisters during the Civil War who each have their own views on life, growing up and getting married. It comments on gender during the time period with the iconic tale of Jo and Laurie’s relationship. This cast is one for the books starring Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Meryl Streep, Timothée Chalamet and Laura Dern. Mark my words: I will be in the theater on Christmas Day.

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.