This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Halloween is over, which means Thanksgiving break is just around the corner. I don’t know about you, but this time of the year is my absolute favorite. The food, family gatherings, holiday traditions, all of it makes me feel happy and cozy inside. When thinking about Thanksgiving, though, it is not uncommon for one to associate this holiday with Christmas as well. Does this mean people have completely forgot about Thanksgiving and rather skipped to Christmas?

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a Christmas girly at heart. As soon as it hits November first, the Christmas music is on, hot cocoa is being made and Elf is playing in the background. To be completely honest, my Christmas tree back at home has been up in my bedroom since Christmas of last year. While some may think that is crazy, I disagree. It makes me happy. It is wild to me that something as simple as lights on a tree can bring me so much joy, but it really does. Something I have started to realize, though, is that my love for celebrating Christmas just a bit earlier than others can definitely cause some conflict.

Just this past weekend my roommates and I decked out our apartment in Christmas decor. While not all of my roommates enjoy getting ready for Christmas in November, all of us had such a fun time jamming out to music, talking and laughing while putting up all of our decorations. It was genuinely such a great bonding experience for all of us. And honestly, I believe that’s why so many people in society enjoy getting ready for the Christmas season so early. This season brings people together. Personally, when I think of Christmas I automatically think of peace, love and joy. The feeling of baking cookies with my dad, putting up the tree with my mom, getting matching Christmas pjs with my roommates, family gatherings all of it is something that I cherish. Things like school and work can sometimes make it hard to truly focus on my family and friends, which is why this season never fails to bring me back to my happy place.

While it may seem like my love for Christmas has made me forget about Thanksgiving as a whole, that is simply not true. Something that I have always said is that Thanksgiving is a holiday in the Christmas season. Just like Christmas, Thanksgiving brings people together and creates that feeling of belongingness that so many crave. Just like Christmas, my family and I have our Thanksgiving traditions as well that I look forward to every year. While I am thankful for so many people and opportunities in my life, Thanksgiving is a holiday where I am always reminded of how special family, time and love is. Not to mention, who doesn’t love Black Friday?

To put it simply, I really do see both Thanksgiving and Christmas as very similar holidays. Both allow people to be thankful for certain things and/or people in their life, spend time with loved ones, have good conversation, laugh a lot and enjoy some really good food. When I was younger I did not appreciate Thanksgiving and Christmas as much as I do now. Spending time with my family and friends is something I do not take lightly. This season makes me see the true beauty of living and enjoying every moment. So who cares if you’re playing “All I Want for Christmas Is You” during Thanksgiving dinner? As long as you’re enjoying your time, making memories and eating some delicious food, that’s all that matters.

Drew Berkshire

Kent State '26

Drew Berkshire is a communication studies major at Kent State University with a minor in public relations and theater performance. In her free time she enjoys performing, watching reality TV, shopping and drinking coffee!!